This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

toe in on front wheels on 49 cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kenscub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75790
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

toe in on front wheels on 49 cub

Postby kenscub » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:58 pm

How much Toe In on front wheels am I supposed to have on my '49 cub.?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: toe in on front wheels on 49 cub

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:16 pm

1/4" or as close as you can get to 1/4".
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi,
Below is a page from the 1949 Cub owner's manual telling about adjusting the toe in, in the lower left side of the words, if you want to see it. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-46.jpg

kenscub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75790
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby kenscub » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks guys. I should have known to look in the owners book. Lazy me. No wonder she is hard to steer Cubby currently has three (3) inches of toe-in. Fixing that is Saturdays project. ken

Pompiere
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43449
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1958 Cub Lo-Boy w/ Woods mower

Postby Pompiere » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:42 pm

When I got my LoBoy, I was told it wouldn't turn very well going left, but right was okay. I found the front axle offset was different on each side, but the tie rods were in the same notch. They had tried to adjust the toe in, but the tie rods didn't have enough threads to get it right. After getting everything in the same positions and adjusting the toe in, it turns equally well in both directions.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi,

Pompiere has a good idea, if your Cub has that much toe in, something might be assembled wrong. The tie rods that slide in and out of the tie rod tubes have notches cut out for the clamp bolts to go through. The tie rods have to be pulled out to the right position to match how far out the axle tubes are set at.
So if your axle tubes are out one position, the tie rods have to be out one position.

They can be hard to slide in and out because of rust in them, or if they are bent, straightening can help them move better.

Here is a pic from TM Tractor showing the tie rod and the 5 notches for the 5 positions it can be set to.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/6291fp.htm

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the 5 holes in the part of the adjustable front axle that slides out. It has no steering parts in the pic, they go in the hole at the left. :)
Attachments
Cub axle.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”