Rear Axle Oil Seals/Gaskets

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
canpan7077
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub

Rear Axle Oil Seals/Gaskets

Postby canpan7077 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 am

I was going to replace the oil in the final drive and I noticed a lot of oil all over the exterior of the tractor. Does anyone know which seals/gaskets I have to replace to stop this mess? Here are some pictures:
Attachments
KIMG0281.JPG
Right side oil pan
KIMG0278.JPG
Right housing
KIMG0277.JPG
Left housing
KIMG0275.JPG
Left side oil pan

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear Axle Oil Seals/Gaskets

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 am

Hi,
It would help if you gave it a power wash, some of the small seeping on Cubs is not much, but builds up over many years, if it has not been power washed.
That would be the oil on the outside of the final drives, then use it some and see if it is leaking slowly, or fast. It might not need repair, if it is very slow seeping.

The oil running out the upper holes, at the brakes, looks like it is leaking more.
I don't know if you have checked or changed the transmission oil.
It could be the transmission is overfilled, they commonly get water in them from rain, or condensation inside the case. That raises the oil level in the trans, then it can run out the trans seals, and out where the brakes are. The brakes probably don't work much with oil on them.

You should change the trans oil, if it hasn't been changed lately. Drain it with the plug on the bottom of the trans, and be sure there is no water in it. You can see the plug from under the platform. Then be sure it is filled only to the level plug on the left side of the trans.
The brakes and brake areas should be dry all the time, no oil there.

If the trans oil level is right, the oil seals are probably leaking and need replacing.
There are 4 oil seals in the rear, on the shafts the brakes are on.
There is basically a seal on each side of the brake drums, 2 on the right side, 2 on the left side.
I've replaced all 4 seals on my 1956 Cub in the past.
Below is a post Dale Finch made in the past. It shows how to replace them, and the brake. She didn't show replacing the seal behind the brake drum, they leak too and need replacing whenever you have the final drive unit off the Cub, if the seals haven't been replaced in years. It is easier to buy new brake bands than to reline them like it shows in the post below.
It shows them in the Cub parts book, and TM Tractor at the bottom of the page, sells new brake bands. A 1950 Cub would have the first style of brake, with the rod made on the brake band. They are like in Dale's posts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78421

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78427

You have to remove the white mower bracket held on with the 3 bolts, in your 2nd pic above, to get to the filler plug for the right final drive.
The left side plug is behind the drawbar bracket, you have to remove the drawbar.
They are the same casting, facing opposite ways on the Cub.
You can see where the plug is in my 1st pic below.

Here is a listing at TM Tractor for new final drive pan gaskets. There is a pic there of the final drives also.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fr/125fp.htm

Below are pics from TM Tractor, of the seal behind the brake drum, and the brake. I hope this helps. :)
Attachments
Cub casting 3.jpg
Cub casting.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canpan7077
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub

Postby canpan7077 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks so much, I'll start working on it after I finish cleaning out this damn air cleaner.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi,
Below is a 1950 Cub owner's manual, the experts on here recommend that people read it, it has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. It shows all the fluids that need changing.
The gear cases use 80W-90 gear oil.
There is info about cleaning the air cleaner in it. Use light motor oil in the air cleaner cup. There is a table of contents on page 1. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html