This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got another Cub . Need some advice.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Steve Hales
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 83619
Tractors Owned: 1955 fergison TO 35
1948 Cub

Got another Cub . Need some advice.

Postby Steve Hales » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Brought my Cub home this morning. Serial number # 21122 which makes it a 1948. First thing to do is , it has no compression, so I would like to get some ideas on how to best tackle this problem . I realize there several reasons why an engine would lose its compression . I have never had to address this problem on a Cub . I would like here from the experts . I will get some pictures later. Thank you for all your help throughout the years refurbishing my Cubs.

Steve
1948 CUB
1955 Harry Ferguson TO 35

" HARD TIMES DON'T LAST, STRONG PEOPLE DO"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Got another Cub . Need some advice.

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:58 am

If truly no compression on any cylinder, then I would suspect valves all stuck in some degree of open. However, there is not a time when all cylinders have an open valve, so maybe it is just one or two? In any event, you could remove the valve cover to watch and see if they open correctly, or you could pull the head and clean things up front he top. If she just had an open valve or two, most of us would use penetrant, sea foam, and time to try and get it running correctly. But if its not running at all, I'd probably go deeper earlier.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Steve Hales
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 83619
Tractors Owned: 1955 fergison TO 35
1948 Cub

Re: Got another Cub . Need some advice.

Postby Steve Hales » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 am

Rick, that's kinda my thoughts too. I have to get a battery and change the oil and filter then take a compression check first, and the go from there, thank you for the good advice.

Steve
1948 CUB
1955 Harry Ferguson TO 35

" HARD TIMES DON'T LAST, STRONG PEOPLE DO"

Return to “Farmall Cub”