This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1950 Cub Restore

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

1950 Cub Restore

Postby dan_c » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:14 pm

Gentleman,

I am restoring my 1950 Cub. She is in a very torn down state at this time.

I have a few questions for the forum. I have removed the final drives and removed the pans and dumped the nasty gear lube. Where can I get final drive pan gaskets? Would form a gasket be acceptable? I intend to use 80-90 gear lube to fill the pans as full as I can and then lift them to the bolting pattern and start catching bolts (I will need a hand). Is this the correct lube (80-90) and am I approaching this correctly? It would be nice if there was a filler plug so that you could re-install the gasket and pan dry and then re-fill it. For that matter it would be nice if there was a way to drain the pan other that breaking the bolting pattern (messy).

I have a 7 1/2 inch pully on the PTO shaft (the pully that drives the belly mower). What is the procedure for removing that pully? So far, I can not figure out how to remove it. On close examination I have discovered that there are cracks in that cast pully. What is a good source to get a replacement pully?

Thanks,

Dan N.E. Ohio

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:05 pm

Purists don't like it, but the silicone form-a-gasket will work, make sure the lips of the pans are straight before you bolt them back up.
There are filler plugs, they just don't look like it. they are the recessed plugs on the inside of each final drive that a 1/2 in drive socket will fit in.
If you have the same pulley that is supplied with Most belly mowers it is a split bushing type pulley using a tapered hub. To remove it, take out the 2 or 3 (depends on pulley) bolts that hold the pulley to the hub and reinstall them in the tapped holes turning them in evenly. They will push the pulley off the hub. One that is done it normally loosens the hub enough that it can be removed with minimal persuasion.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

1950 Cub Restore

Postby dan_c » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:42 pm

John,

Thank you very much, I will try that for removing the pully.

I know the plug that you are referring to inside the final drive. So there is a filler plug but no drain, other than dropping the pan.

I only thought of form a gasket because I'm not sure where to get a final drive gasket. I missed one on Ebay awhile back. Pricey though! Form a gasket does not bother the purist in me... I have not found a supply house that carries that item.

Dan

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby farmallcub49 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:14 pm

Your local Case/IH dealer will have the pan gaskets. If not Ken can get them at http://www.cngco.com
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:18 pm

This is a good person to do business with:

http://www.tmtractor.com/fi/125fp.htm

The folks who advertise with us on the Home Page are the best. They are likely to have the other things you might be needing :)
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

1950 Cub Restore

Postby dan_c » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:48 pm

Thanks to all for the advice and information.

John, the pully came off using the mounting bolts as jack screws just as you said. I feel kind of dumb for not realizing that! I like to do things right the first time and very often that means asking questions.

Dan N.E. Ohio

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:24 am

I made the final drive pan gaskets from gasket material purchased from the auto parts store.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”