This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Safety when hauling

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Safety when hauling

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:31 am

Found this is on the Safety forum. I believe it needs the maximum exposure to remind all of us about the importance of correct restraints. Please review it to read the comments.
tiedowns.jpg
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rockfarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Re: Safety when hauling

Postby rockfarmer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:06 am

OUCH!

I never thought to check the hubs on my new trailer. After returning from RMCF, I noticed one tire was worn more than the others. Grabbed it and shook it...loose! The castle nut was not tightened enough at the factory as I bought it brand new. The manufacturer is sending me a new hub.

Check your hubs for proper tightness as well as proper tie downs, brakes, etc!

BSR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BSR » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:20 am

And remember if you're hauling more weight then your vehicle is registered for and get in a accident your insurance will not cover it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:20 pm

One thing that is seldom mentioned is that The SMV sign should be covered or removed when hauling. In many states it is a traffic violation to have a visible SMV sign on anything moving over 25mph. Doesn't matter if it is being driven or hauled.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Is there something other than the photo? Perhaps a newspaper article, police report, video?

Years ago I got ran off the road. WD Allis Chalmers chained to a tandem axled trailer. Trailer and tractor upside down over a stream. Tractor still attached to the trailer.

Cost me a pickup truck, new axle for the trailer, and $400- to retrieve the trailer and tractor from the stream bed. No injuries.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I found a post on the Smokstak forums stating the following. Apparently this happened last year:

Belongs to a friend of mine. On I80 WB just west of Ottawa IL exit. He was headed to the 2016 Massey expo show in Geneseo IL. A state DOT truck was spraying weeds from the shoulder and came up on the bridge. Instead of raising the spray boom, it swerved into traffic. A container trailer swerved and locked up their brakes and missed the DOT truck. Following vehicles checked up and the crash behind happened. Tractor broke the chains following impact. No tickets were issued. Tractor had minor damage. Truck was totaled. Trailer still being used.""
Jim

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Urbish wrote:I found a post on the Smokstak forums stating the following. Apparently this happened last year:

. . . Tractor broke the chains following impact. . . .

I'd like more detail on how it was chained down. As I said in the other thread in the safety forum:

Jim Becker wrote:. . . The damage to the car in front of him isn't that bad, probably wasn't a very hard hit. (It looks like the truck bumper went under the car bumper.) . . .

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000
Henderson Std. Loader
Planet Jr/Cole 300A Seeder

Postby radioguy41 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Based on that photo I'm not seeing the remnants of any chains. What I do see is what appears to be a strap laying east-west across the trailer rather than north-south. When I was researching what guys were using to haul their tractors I saved a bunch of photos and was somewhat surprised at how often the tractors were strapped east-west rather than north-south. I've hauled a lot of things over the years and there are some hard and fast rules for anything sitting on wheels. One is to strap it north and south because that's the direction it's going to try and go should you have to brake hard or hit something. Strapping only east and west is not safe.

Another rule is if you're using straps make absolutely certain they are rated well beyond the weight of the vehicle you are hauling. Remember, a load trying to move, say from a sudden stop due to an impact, is going to exert tensions on the strap(s) in excess of it's static weight. So, if the tractor weighs 2000# make sure the straps are rated at 2500-3000# (or more). Here's why, suppose you're involved in a collision and the initial impact causes the tractor to shift slightly. You could easily end up with one strap loosening while the other is now providing 100% of the holding. Well, if the straps are only rated at say 1000-1500# it could easily snap and now you're faced with the second strap in the same situation as the first and it too snaps and away goes the tractor. Collisions are seldom crash-stop on a dime. They are usually crash, bang, and boom, before you come to a stop. A motto to live by, literally - overkill is your friend.

Oh, and I certainly would have fought to have that DOT truck driver cited. As it sits the guy hauling the tractor is responsible because he ran into the rear of the vehicle in front. Should the DOT driver be cited the blame shifts. I would have fought for that.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

jpcubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74022
Skype Name: jpcubs
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub

Postby jpcubs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:57 am

Be aware of signs,A man parked his truck and trailer along curb at western days in dewey ok to unload a display. A car hit his trailer in the rear. The police give the man with trailer a ticket for parking in no parking zone.it was clearly marked no parking from sign to corner. The man with trailer was at fault.

Return to “Farmall Cub”