Electrical issue.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posco
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Electrical issue.

Postby Posco » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Can't figure this one out. I put a new battery in my Cub a couple of weeks back and everything was working fine. Now I have nothing. No headlights and no cranking at the starter. I've chased the wiring everywhere I can think of and can't find anything loose.

It's a twelve volt negative ground. I put on a new ground cable and I'm pretty sure I have good contact with paint/rust free metal.

Is there any way the ammeter might have gone bad, not allowing current to run through? A fuse? I suppose I could jump the ammeter if my big fat fingers could get inside there. I really don't want to remove the tank again. Any ideas?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Electrical issue.

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Disconnect negative battery cable. Charge battery up over night. All dash switches off. Connect multi-meter (maximum amps setting) in series to negative battery post and ground. Observe amp draw on multi-meter. Disconnect the B (battery) wire from voltage regulator. Zero amps, faulty regulator.

Faulty voltage regulator is the most common fault of a battery drain. If not the voltage regulator, start disconnecting one appliance at a time until you locate the fault.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Posco
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Wouldn't the voltage regulator come into play on a six volt positive ground, Eugene? I'm running a twelve volt negative ground. I don't think the battery is the issue.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:14 pm

If you are running a 12 volt generator and voltage regulator, the voltage regulator would/could be a potential issue, same as the 6 volt system.

If you are using a 12 volt alternator, usually the parasitic battery drain is at another location than the alternator. But, it's still possible that the alternator is faulty.

Try the diagnostic test to disclose the offending appliance or wire.
I have an excuse. CRS.