Differential Shaft Oil Seal

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BadgerCub9361
Zip Code: 53806

Differential Shaft Oil Seal

Postby BadgerCub9361 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:21 am

I am attempting to replace the left side differential oil seal. Before I bring out the jackhammer and do too much damage, I'd appreciate the advice of experienced forum members. After I removed the left side final drive, I examined the differential seal and the retainer it was embedded in. The seal was deteriorated. My examination indicated the existing seal was about 1/2 inch thick with the half facing the outside of the tractor appearing very similar to the replacement seal. However, the inside half of the seal appears to be a roughly 1/4 inch space that contained an o-ring. The o-ring was not the usual rubber ring, but rather a ring made of spring material about 3/16 inch thick. In reading the older threads on this topic I learned that the new seals are thinner than the OEM seals and wonder if the spring o-ring and its seat are part of the "old" style seal and should be removed and discarded. In sum, I'd remove all of the old 1/2 inch thick seal (with spring) and replace it with only the roughly 1/4 inch thick new replacement. Any insights will be much appreciated.

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Differential Shaft Oil Seal

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:33 am

That's correct, you remove everything, and should have a simple open hole clear through to the differential interior. Make sure you remove ANY burrs around to hole that might damage the new seal. And yes, the new seal is quite thin, but will work just fine. Drive it in just flush with the outer edge, and make sure you grease the lip seal and shaft before reinstalling the final.

While the final is off, check your brake lining. It would be a shame to have to do this all again later for brake work! If it is oily, you can use a propane torch to burn the oil out of the lining material...it won't damage the lining. Make sure the brake drum set screw is very tight, with the locking nut tightened down well.

Good luck!

BadgerCub9361
Zip Code: 53806

Postby BadgerCub9361 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Thank you for the quick and encouraging response. I'm really impressed with the dedication, knowledge and experience of the folks on this forum. Do you do investment advice? Thanks again,

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:00 pm

BadgerCub9361 wrote: Do you do investment advice? Thanks again,

Buy low and sell high. Good luck.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi,
There is another oil seal behind the brake drum in the final drive casting that can leak if it is wornout too. The leaking oil can get on the brake. It is good to replace it too, when the final drive is off the Cub.
Remove the brake drum and the key for it in the shaft, then remove the cap held on with the 4 bolts at the end of the shaft. Then the shaft slides out through the hole in the case. Do not remove the snap ring on the bearing, the shaft would slide out to the left, if the final drive was on the Cub.
Here is a listing at TM Tractor for the new seal.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/df/044fp.htm

This is a listing for the cap gasket.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fr/473fp.htm

Be sure the seal lip faces into the gear case, on the transmission case seal, or the final drive seal.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the seal in the final drive. :)
Attachments
Cub casting 3.jpg