This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front wheels track extended

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
frodge
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46923

Front wheels track extended

Postby frodge » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 am

I got a new tire for the front left and when I turned left the tire touched and lifted my mower deck. After a lot of persuading I got everything loose enough and extended the track out one hole. Of course that meant I had to adjust tie rods. I thought I drove them out as far as possible both by thread and the notched bar inside the tube. I still cannot adjust it enough to get the alignment right. I also only have 8 threads engaged. Afraid of it with so few threads, can't go less. Think the bars should be able to be driven out far enough to accommodate the track being two notches out or do I need to buy different/ longer tie rods? Could I buy some 1/2-20 thread all and extend it?

Thanks for any help, great forum.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Front wheels track extended

Postby tmays » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 am

Shouldn't need to adjust threaded portion of rod when extending axle. That's just for adjusting toe in. If you extend axle by one hole, then extend tie rod one notch and so on. If there are not enough notches to match how far you've extended axle, then rod has been cut at some point or axle has been modified. Are you sure you've extended notched rod as far as it will go?
Thomas

frodge
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46923

Postby frodge » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Not certain I have, just wasn't getting much movement and thought I might be done. One side the tube is very bent. I'll take some more time and try to straighten it and give it another go. Thanks

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:34 pm

If the tie rod tube is bent you will probably not be able to adjust the width until it is fairly straight. I've found the best approach is to remove the tie rod completely in order to be able to use a vice or a straight heavy metal support to hammer it straight. Replacements are available from forum sponsors or place a wanted add on the VINE, Classified.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:28 pm

A press works good too and is easier to control the force with.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi,
Below are pics from TM Tractor of how the tie rods originally were, and should be.
There are 5 notches in the rod for the different widths, for the bolt in the clamp to go through.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gst/tierod_001.htm

Below is a listing for a new tie rod. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/6291fp.htm

Return to “Farmall Cub”