Waking up the ol' Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Waking up the ol' Cub

Postby Glen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi,
Be sure to put the 2 pieces of insulation back inside the starter switch, at the sides of the switch, to prevent shorting. :)

Willy
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks for tips. Now to just get the time to get out there and get it done before my fingers freeze. (unheated shop)
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Willy
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Willy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Got a little done with the ol' Cub this afternoon. Plugs cleaned and gapped. Also I think I figured out my spark problem. The points were far enough out of adjustment that if they were opening at all, it was just barely. Got them set now too. I haven't got the cap and rotor back on the distributor though as that was about the point I'd had enough of the starter switch's shenanigans and took it apart. The copper button on the starter itself is pretty eat up, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that at the moment. I did check the brushes and armature while I had it on the bench and like to have never got the armature fully back in it because of the brushes.
Waking up the ol' Cub

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 am

An "ole time": starter repair should be able to replace the starter post. The internal connections are soldered. Another option is to clean it up and lightly file the contact surface to smooth up the rough surface.

Willy
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Willy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:53 am

The starter post has about a 3/16 " "divot" where it's been making contact. I'm wondering if there's enough play to turn it 180? On old GM solenoids, the trick was to flip the copper contact washers over to have the better surfaces make contact.

The switch contact looks ok other than needing cleaned up and there a heck of a lot of play in the lever and starter pull rod. I could probably put a 1/4-20 nut between the lever and the switch button.

As an aside, I had a friend ask why I just didn't replace it all. Heck the starter still works. It just has a few "issues" that can probably be sorted out. I've never been much of a parts replacer if I can do anything with the original bits.
Waking up the ol' Cub

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 am

Willy wrote:The starter post has about a 3/16 " "divot" where it's been making contact. I'm wondering if there's enough play to turn it 180? On old GM solenoids, the trick was to flip the copper contact washers over to have the better surfaces make contact.
As an aside, I had a friend ask why I just didn't replace it all. Heck the starter still works. It just has a few "issues" that can probably be sorted out. I've never been much of a parts replacer if I can do anything with the original bits.

Turning the post, I would be concerned about the wiring connection/soldering inside the case. Replacing the starter: Easy enough for him to say since it does not affect his pocketbook!!

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Postby Waif » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Divot on starter post matches switch contact. Polish it and the switch contact and as long as switch contact reaches it ( and it does have a bit of travel/ reach designed into it to do so) you should be fine.
That's what I did with mine before eventually replacing the starter for other reasons.

Willy
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Willy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 pm

I got the starter back together this afternoon and it's definitely working better. Then I got a wild hair about seeing if it would start figuring "why not?". Squirted a shot of starting fluid into the carb and nothing. Tried it again, still nothing.
Rechecked to see if the plugs were firing and got the prettiest blue spark I've seen in a while.
Tried the start fluid again and still no joy. Then I had the "ah ha" moment (aka "how stupid I can be?"). Gave it another shot of ether and pulled the choke. It started right up and ran for about 5 seconds. I then pushed it out the door and bolted the hood and tank back on it and reconnected the fuel line to the carb. Making sure the choke was on again, I hit the starter and it fired right up again. It ran rough for a few minutes and settled right in to a nice sounding idle. Smoking like a bbq grill, but it was sounding good. Once I was sure it was going to keep running on it's own, I took a quick pic with my phone, then raised and lowered the touch control a bunch of times. Image

No grinding whir from the hydraulic pump like there was back in early 12 the last time it ran.
I drove it around the house a few times and let it run until the exhaust smoke had pretty much cleared up.

Tomorrow, run it some more and start putting the rest of the bits back on it.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:11 am

:{_}: Yippee! Congrats!

Willy
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Willy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 am

Another pic from when I had it sitting in the driveway running to show my wife's mom. My wife's Grandaddy bought the Cub new back in '51 and my mother in law plowed with it on their farm as a teenager (says it sure beat walking behind a mule) and seeing it running again for the first time in years brought tears to her eyes.

And my wife has decided that "Ol Cub" is no name for it. So, it's "Lil Red" now. And she says I need to find a red Farmall Cub cap :D

Now that it runs, I need to put the rest of the parts back on it, set up the drawbar with a 2" hitch and attach it to the rear lift. I've got a 52" blade for an ATV on sale during Black Friday that I couldn't pass on the price. All I need to attach it is about a foot of 2" square tubing and drill a few holes in the tubing. With the receiver hitch, I'm thinking I can use the blade (although I've got another idea for mounting it in the belly position to keep the drawbar free), pull my old utility trailer around, I've got a frame from a Harbor Freight wheelchair rack that was trashed in a wreck I can attach to the hitch and use as a small platform for hauling stuff around when I don't want to mess with the trailer and there's bound to be someway to build a boompole that will attach via that hitch.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Willy
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Willy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:43 am

I just want to thank everyone here for their help and suggestions. Yall have been an immense help, even where it's a tidbit that I've gleaned from other people's projects. For a simple basic tractor designed to replace the mule on small farms with illiterate farmers, our Cubs can get complicated pretty quick. Even for us old retired mechanics who forgot more than they realized.

Thanks Again!!
Waking up the ol' Cub

Willy
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Willy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:44 am

Oh, I'm not done here by the way. I figure I can update it along as I add to Lil Red.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Indy4570
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 50 Farmall Cub Cubby
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
48 Ferguson TE20
late 50s AC HD6, (Buda)
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP
various other GTs

Postby Indy4570 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Willy wrote:Oh, I'm not done here by the way. I figure I can update it along as I add to Lil Red.

please do, I have enjoyed reading about your adventures with the cub. Congrats on getting a family heirloom running again :tractor:
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Postby Waif » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Run Lil Red ,run!
Congrats Willy.
Something special about reviving an old engine.

Willy
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Willy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks, but we apparently had an operator error this afternoon when I flooded the engine. Never did get it to start back up. I seem to remember last time it was running, it had a bit of a "combination" to starting. If the combination wasn't right, it wouldn't start. Once started though, it runs good.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”