This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

90 Degree PTO Removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

90 Degree PTO Removal

Postby Willy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:50 pm

My Cub has that 90 degree PTO hanging off of the back. I really don't have any use for it and was wondering what would be the difficulties if I just took it off. Would I need to put something in it's place or would it be fine without that PTO. I kind of think it was probably for a old flat belt drive pulley. I looked in the PTO manual and couldn't figure out if taking it off would cause other problems.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 90 Degree PTO Removal

Postby Glen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:09 am

Hi,
Taking off the Belt Pulley Attachment does not cause any problems. The PTO is made to work without it. Some pulleys for equipment fasten directly on the PTO shaft, without the Belt Pulley Attachment there.
The Belt Pulley Attachments bolts onto a surface made on the PTO housing. It was used for a flat belt.
Below is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual telling how to change it. This page might not be in the 1955 owner's manual that I posted before.
You need to put bolts back in all the holes, the page tells the length of bolts to use. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2055.jpg

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000
Henderson Std. Loader
Planet Jr/Cole 300A Seeder
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 90 Degree PTO Removal

Postby radioguy41 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:05 am

Yes, take note the manual specs shorter bolts to use without the flat belt PTO. When I got my Cub it was obvious a 90 degree PTO had once been there but had been removed. When I redid the gasket and seal and reinstalled a 90 degree PTO I discovered the longer bolts were still there so I'm not sure it makes much of a difference unless the longer ones would somehow bottom out without the PTO but that wasn't the case on mine. Perhaps more knowledgeable people on here know if it really matters? The difference between the "A" bolts and "B" bolts does matter though. The "A" bolts (longer) screw into the housing while the "B" bolts (shorter) screw into welded nuts on the back of the differential cover.

1948 Farmall Cub-117s.jpg
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

Return to “Farmall Cub”