Where do I start?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Where do I start?

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 am

Regarding the generator, it is about the last thing you need to deal with. Until the carburetor is clean and not dripping, until the ignition system is straightened out, until the engine starts and runs, there is no need to deal with the charging system. None of those other problems will be helped by a working generator. By the way, on the engine dying if you unhook the battery --- don't do that!

txcublover
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub (141620)
Twitter ID: farmallplay

Postby txcublover » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am

It looks like it's all 6 volt original -- the generator is there, but the bracket that swings over to connect the top isn't connected to the generator (it looks like they had a belt that was too long, and tried to rig something so that the generator rested against the outside of the bracket and tightened it at the bottom in order to make the belt work. All that said, it's currently running off of a 12V battery because that's what the guy sold it to me with, and I haven't purchased a 6V yet. It does not run when the battery is disconnected, that's all I know for absolute certain. I'll try to add a picture of the generator and other electrical parts later.

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Ok 6v is good.
I agree that the carb is your first challenge.
If it's still stalling out when you get good gas flow, I would then look at distributor/magneto and coil. Just basics points, plugs, condenser. Then chk your coil to make sure you've got a good strong spark. I happen to notice today that TM has a J4 coil for around $50.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

txcublover

Postby txcublover » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 am

Altering the plan slightly, I drained the gas tank yesterday, found that the metal portion the sediment bowl is attached to is corroded beyond repair, and ordered a new one of those. I plugged the bottom of the tank and filled it with 7 gallons of vinegar to help remove the rust. I will clean the carb today.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi,
Below is a page from the Cub parts manual showing the IH carburetor.

Pull the 2 halves straight apart, don't twist it. The idle tube, number 10 in the pic is easy to break. It screws into the top half.

I would use carburetor cleaner in it, and then blow out all the passages with air. Wear your safety goggles when using the air.

Be sure to remove the high speed jet, number 28 in the pic, and clean it, including the small hole in the end of it.

There is a small screen in the gas inlet to the carb, clean it too.
The needle and seat could be worn out and need replacing, if gas drips on the ground when the Cub is sitting. But they can drip because the float level is too high, or because there is dirt in the needle and seat. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-12.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-13.jpg

Set the float level accurately with a measure, some of the guys on here have said their carb would not work right until they set the level exactly.
Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing the float level, and float drop, both need setting. The IH Carb is in the upper pics, use those measurements, if you have an IH carb. Turn the top half with the float in place upside down, like the Zenith pic at the lower right, and measure the level.
The IH carb does not use the gasket in place to measure the level, the Zenith does, they are different in that way.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-09.jpg

Tighten everything gently in or attaching to the carb, the metal is soft, and the threads strip out easily. :)

txcublover

Postby txcublover » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Thank you, Glen! I changed my mind early this afternoon and ordered a carb rebuild kit from Steiner. Mostly I figure there's a ton of rust in the bowl and possibly in the needle/seat area, and I didn't want to split the carb without having a replacement gasket present. I'm holding on the rebuild until I get my new parts. Even so, I'll refer back to the instructions and links you provided when I get the parts.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Save the OEM steel needle and brass cage. They are much less likely to stick than the viton replacement needles.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

txcublover

Postby txcublover » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I can post a video directly, but I have good news. After letting the tank soak in vinegar for a week, the. Sloshing around some washers in the tank for a few minutes, the cub is running for long periods now - let it run for a whole hour. Now I am done running it except as described in the what to do with the cub you just brought home post...