Media Blasting vs. Wire Brush

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Larry in WNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14005

Re: Media Blasting vs. Wire Brush

Postby Larry in WNY » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:04 pm

I agree the needle scaler is the fastest and easiest way to knock paint off cast surfaces. Very minimal mess too. Stay away from sheet metal, lines and brass fittings. You could do one pass with a wire wheel after if needed. Everything else I cleaned inside a blasting cabinet. I personally wouldn't buy a tractor that was sand blasted complete unless it was soda blasted.
Larry

xraycajun
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 70769

Postby xraycajun » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm convinced that you guys are right. I will take my time and wire wheel this thing... and look into that needle device as well. So.. here is my new plan..... Mechanical work, Wire Brush, Paint... I'll be sure to send progress pics!

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:01 pm

My battle plan for mine is to needle scale everything but the sheet metal and use chemical stripper on that. I’ve been using klean strip aircraft stripper on my truck rims with really good results. I first used the spray and then got the can shown below brushing it on. Definitely prefer brushing it on. On the stuff that was loosened by the stripper but didn’t want to scrape off I used a wire brush in my diegrinder which blew it right off. I followed it up with soap, water, and a brush. Worked perfect.
Mike

Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Spivey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:23 am

My preference would be to clean first, then repair (I hate working on grimy parts), then prime, then drive it for a month. Something will likely leak, and you don't have to worry about that fresh paint. Once all leaks fixed, then clean again, and paint.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

xraycajun
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby xraycajun » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:14 am

I used that same aircraft stripper when I restored my dad's old aluminum jon boat. I will try that on the cub's sheet metal. Another question... How long after paint removal will it take for surface rust to develop, let's say... if I were to remove paint and then make repairs over several months... It will be stored in a garage during the project.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:54 am

xraycajun wrote:I used that same aircraft stripper when I restored my dad's old aluminum jon boat. I will try that on the cub's sheet metal. Another question... How long after paint removal will it take for surface rust to develop, let's say... if I were to remove paint and then make repairs over several months... It will be stored in a garage during the project.

If you remove paint from sheet metal plan on priming it right away. Any amount of moisture in the air will start the rust process pretty quickly.
Even though I may have something in my garage or barn I can often go out to find the chrome covers on my bike fogged over with moisture. On bare metal it would have rust starting.
At the very least rattle can it with primer and get it under some type of cover.
Mike

xraycajun
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby xraycajun » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:42 am

Funny... the mechanical work and elbow grease required doesn't scare me... but the logistics of a project like this are mind-boggling!

Smokeycub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 pm

xraycajun wrote: What about those flap wheels that mount on sidegrinders? Those wheels that look like dish scrubber pads?

Flap-Wheel[1].jpg

If you mean something like this be aware it is a very aggressive grinding wheel. It will take paint, rust, and steel with equal ease. I've had good luck with a needle scaler and wire wheels on a R/A grinder. Use good quality wire wheels, they last longer and are somewhat safer to use. As mentioned above wear a face shield, leather gloves, and heavy outer wear. Even so you'll picking wire out from surprising places. lol Good luck.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 pm

xraycajun wrote:Funny... the mechanical work and elbow grease required doesn't scare me... but the logistics of a project like this are mind-boggling!

I know what you mean. It can seem bigger than it is. Take the tin off an go at the heavy metal with the needle scaler. You might want hearing protection as it can be loud. Knock out small sections and you’ll be surprised at how well it works in fact I doubt you’ll be able to put it down. Just remember it’s an air tool so you have to oil it periodically.
Before painting I’ll blow over it with the wire brush and wipe it down with lacquer thinner.
My biggest problem with getting my tractor repainted is taking it out of service for enough time to get it done.

xraycajun
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby xraycajun » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Well, I'm asking Mrs. Santa (AKA, my lovely wife) for a compressor this Christmas. I think the needle scaler would make a great stocking stuffer! LOL, I borrowed equipment when I restored my boat not thinking that I might ever tackle the tractor... but alas, here I go. Thanks again!. All of your collective advice gives me a much clearer picture of how to tackle the project with the most efficiency possible.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 am

Wimpy! Wimpy! Wimpy!

Hefty! Hefty! Hefty!

IMHO, the most effective tool for rust removal. Wear a thick shirt, gloves, and a face shield, because you will get wires thrown at you, but the results are worth the hassle.

xraycajun
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby xraycajun » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:02 am

I have wimpy now... upgrading to hefty soon!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Try to match the cfm output of the compressor to what the tool requires (or more), or you'll find yourself waiting a lot for the pressure to build back up,
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

xraycajun
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby xraycajun » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm glad you mentioned about the compressor output. I only just discovered that paint guns need to be matched to the compressor. After lots of searching, I discovered one Harbor Freight unit that puts out 6.2 cfm @ 40 ps (match for those popular Harbor freight HVLP paint guns. I had yet to consider output for the needle scaler tool I plan to use.

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:46 pm

To be clear, Matt's pic above is an electric angle grinder, not an air tool. I was also referring to an electric. Bob's point is a good one if choosing an air tool.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety