Preparing the Cub for winter!

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WaMoo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99101
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

Preparing the Cub for winter!

Postby WaMoo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 pm

It’s that time of year, and I made a video about preparing our Cub for the upcoming winter; putting on the snow plow and tire chains.

Here’s a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/JE4fFtbNG5M

If you haven’t seen my other Cub videos, and would like to check them out, here is a link to my channel:

https://m.youtube.com/user/vnthomas16

Enjoy!
WaMoo
Bluecreek, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Re: Preparing the Cub for winter!

Postby ntrenn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am

Fine looking spread you have there.

Cub's not bad also...

WaMoo
5+ Years
5+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 pm

ntrenn wrote:Fine looking spread you have there.

Cub's not bad also...

Thanks! I’m proud of both!
WaMoo
Bluecreek, WA
~George Washington

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:08 pm

I noticed in your video that your blade was disassembled more than it needs to be. The last pin that you put in doesn't need to be taken out. I leave mine together. Disconnect the mounting arms, lift arms, and the long bolt. Let it drop down then back up off of it. It saves the problem of remembering what connects to what if it's all together.
Also you said you used a piece of pipe between your square blocks in the bolster. I was wonder why?
Seems like an extra step that isn't needed. Since I only use my cub for mowing and plowing snow, I leave my square blocks bolted in year round, raise the mount up to it with a floor jack below the big pin. Then run the long bolt through.
Just thinking out loud, not criticising. Just think you could make a few steps easier on yourself.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

WaMoo
5+ Years
5+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:04 pm

k hutchins wrote:I noticed in your video that your blade was disassembled more than it needs to be. The last pin that you put in doesn't need to be taken out. I leave mine together. Disconnect the mounting arms, lift arms, and the long bolt. Let it drop down then back up off of it. It saves the problem of remembering what connects to what if it's all together.
Also you said you used a piece of pipe between your square blocks in the bolster. I was wonder why?
Seems like an extra step that isn't needed. Since I only use my cub for mowing and plowing snow, I leave my square blocks bolted in year round, raise the mount up to it with a floor jack below the big pin. Then run the long bolt through.
Just thinking out loud, not criticising. Just think you could make a few steps easier on yourself.

No offense taken! This is an amazing forum and is pretty much where I learned everything I know about the Cub. I definitely value the knowledge here!

I think the reason I took it apart into two pieces is because I am limited on storage. I usually store it with the blade lying flat on the ground, and the frame sticking up in the air, leaning against the wall. If that makes any sense. :D

As far as the pipe, I think I do it because that’s the way the previous owner did it. Good excuse, right? It’s in there now!

Thanks!
WaMoo
Bluecreek, WA
~George Washington

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:38 pm

The pipe depends on which type square blocks you have. The later ones were wide enough that the big setscrews can hold them in place. The early style were much thinner and needed the pipe to keep them in place. I can't tell for sure from the video which type WaMoo has, but they appear to be the narrow ones.

I always drop my blade off separate from the frame. It is much easier to handle half at a time. Also, I find it easier to hang the frame without the blade attached (due to both weight to lift and alignment).

WaMoo
5+ Years
5+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The pipe depends on which type square blocks you have. The later ones were wide enough that the big setscrews can hold them in place. The early style were much thinner and needed the pipe to keep them in place. I can't tell for sure from the video which type WaMoo has, but they appear to be the narrow ones.

I always drop my blade off separate from the frame. It is much easier to handle half at a time. Also, I find it easier to hang the frame without the blade attached (due to both weight to lift and alignment).

Yes, my blocks are quite narrow. I haven’t measured them, but if I had to guess, maybe only 5/8” thick. There is no way they would extend in far enough to be captured by the setscrews.
WaMoo
Bluecreek, WA
~George Washington

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Mine is a '48 blade so the mounting hardware is a bit different. Probably lighter than the 54 or 54a.
When I put mine on I'll post some pics to show how I "cheat" the weight and alignment issue.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Karl Bader
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 18088
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall cub
1952 Farmall cub (some assembly required)

Postby Karl Bader » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 am

Great video! I was sure to hit like on it! I just bought my blade a few months ago, still not sure how it all goes together, and I know I'm missing a couple of pieces to front mount it... This will definitely be a blessing to help figure out what I still need! :thanx:

I am missing the bolt that goes through the square blocks. I know it's a 5/8" bolt, but does anyone have a length of what I need?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:40 am

The hanger bolt is 12" long.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Karl Bader
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 18088
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall cub
1952 Farmall cub (some assembly required)

Postby Karl Bader » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 am

Bob McCarty wrote:The hanger bolt is 12" long.

Much appreciated.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub

Postby T-Mo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 am

TM has the exact bolt you need.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gb/012fp.htm

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 am

I've been using a "regular" 5/8" bolt for about 10 years and haven't bent it yet. I'm not sure a grade 8 is necessary.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

WaMoo
5+ Years
5+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Karl Bader wrote:Great video! I was sure to hit like on it! I just bought my blade a few months ago, still not sure how it all goes together, and I know I'm missing a couple of pieces to front mount it... This will definitely be a blessing to help figure out what I still need! :thanx:

I am missing the bolt that goes through the square blocks. I know it's a 5/8" bolt, but does anyone have a length of what I need?

Karl, I’m glad you enjoyed the video and found it useful. I really enjoy making them. The folks on this forum have been so helpful to me since before I even owned a Cub, it’s just a little bit of giving back. The collective knowledge here is amazing!
WaMoo
Bluecreek, WA
~George Washington

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:57 pm

WaMoo, I don't mean to hi jack your thread, but I did say I'd post some pics when I installed my blade. Sorry I don't have your talent for video.
I store my blade together and folded against the wall.
20171202_142750_resized.jpg

I then lay it out with my small floor jack under the mounting frame.
20171202_143100_resized.jpg

I then roll the tractor back over it, raise the jack, align holes for the long bolt. After that's done I can simply attach the braces and lifting arms/rods. (Yeah mines an early blade, not a 54/54a)
20171202_143114_resized.jpg

20171202_143625_resized.jpg

I hope this helps others "cheat" , I been doing it this way for 20+ years, sure beats wrestling heavy parts.