Searching for new reverse idler gear for my IH cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lurch
Zip Code: 85735

Searching for new reverse idler gear for my IH cub

Postby lurch » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Hello again everyone. I have split my tractor with the help of a friend and what we discovered was an excessively worn reverse idler gear. Also the shift fork was broken in two places. The shift Fork is no problem but I cannot find a reverse idler gear that is new. I have looked at both sites provided here as hyperlinks and nothing there either. I am hoping that someone here can steer me towards a parts place that will have this in stock. I did find a used gear at a tractor junkyard in Minnesota but I do not want to fool with used parts if I can help it because I may just end up with the same problem. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

lurch

Re: Searching for new reverse idler gear for my IH cub

Postby lurch » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Oops.... I think I may have put this thread in the wrong Forum section. Maybe a moderator could move it to where it should be so that maybe I might get an answer or some input from someone? Sorry about that

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rob in NH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Is it the gear or the bushing that is worn? The bushing can be replaced if thats the problem.

ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Wow!! Had no idea they were so pricey. Not so sure i dont have a serviceable one. If you cant find a new one, one from a cadet transmission will be as good as new. They dont carry near the load. That the cub gears do...

Unless you've been in the transmission design business, you dont know how weak reverse gear actually is. It is very wise to put the best idler possible back in. Reverse idlers with shelled off teeth are very common, even if not on cubs...

lurch

Postby lurch » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Hello NTRENN and thank you for the input. My reverse gear only shows signs of wear. There is no pitting or chipping. At the beginning of your post you say wow I had no idea they were so pricey so I am assuming that you were able to find a new reverse idler gear and I would sure like to know where you found that one. I am also thinking that because my shift Fork in split open at the weld and is also split at about 12 o clock all of the round part that is where the shaft goes through that maybe this broken shift Fork is the only reason it is popping out of reverse for me. I would hate to just replace the fork though and get it all back together to have the same problem. Any more suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. I am going to take a few pictures of the process and we'll post them in the next week. Thank you all for your help. And of course be aware that I posted this in the Farmall forum instead of the IH Cub section which is where it is supposed to be I suppose.

ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:05 pm

917-3188...updated number...messicks shows them so any ih dealer should be able to get them. 110 clams...

The size of the idler will help its life but the teeth go through fully reversed bending. If your current gear does not have root-tip interference marks, its not been overloaded. No pitch line pitting? Its most likely ok to reuse.

Make sure you put a new 1-r slider gear in too...they are about 40 aftermarket...

I bought a complete used set a few years back that was under $100. Should have put in the new slider then....the rest of the gears were fine.

If you check the bearings, they will probably have frosted races. They should be replaced, as that is the first sign of bearing failure.

lurch

Postby lurch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

Thank you NTRENN and others for the input. Messicks it is. :D