finals

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rsprosser1
Zip Code: 10128

finals

Postby rsprosser1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi,

I have taken the final drives off my 1950 cub in prep for overhalls and have come to realize I have 2 different final drives....had the toggle style on left side and the non-toggle style on right. Inside of the left (the toggle style housing), were non-toggle breaks (the wrong break) [I don't have the right side off yet]. I'm assuming given the year, that the toggle-style was the correct housing. I ended up breaking the non-toggle style final drive housing when pressing out a bearing....found a replacement housing online and when received, it was the non-toggle style...so now I have two non-toggle style drives. Assume I should just get the non-toggle style breaks and move forward? Also, I was of impression that there was nothing else different btwn the two housings...but did note that on the replacement one I received (the 2nd non-toggle), that the (non-threaded) holes for bolts to pass through were smaller sized....so to secure the new drive to the transmission, I'll need to get the holes machined so my hardware can pass through....does this sound right? Finally, what happens when you have non-toggle breaks in a toggle style housing (like I did)? The brake pads are worn so it must have been grabbing the drum when brake depressed (I would have thought the consequence of the mismatch would have been lack of contact). thanks!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: finals

Postby Glen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,
If it is a 1950 Cub, it originally had the 1st style of brakes, the non toggle style.
Below are pages from the Cub parts manual showing the brakes, and it gives the serial numbers when they were used. It was during 1953 they changed to the toggle style brake, and the newer final drive housing, with the bigger brake rod holes.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 004-02.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 004-03.jpg

Below is a listing from TM Tractor for a new 1st style brake band and rod, if you need to see them, it is a Case IH part, it says.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/br/288fp.htm

The 6 bolts that hold each final drive onto the Cub were originally 3/8" bolts, so if yours are bigger, someone has made them bigger. Some get stripped out, or worn out.

Hopefully you are replacing the upper shaft oil seals, since you have the final drives off the Cub. TM Tractor has them also.

Below is a post by Dale Finch showing removing and working on a final drive, if you want to see it, it is in 2 parts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78421

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78427

Below are pics from TM Tractor, showing the seal behind the brake drum, and the brake. :)
Attachments
Cub casting 3.jpg
Cub casting.jpg

rsprosser1
Zip Code: 10128

Re: finals

Postby rsprosser1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks!