Finaly got my grandfathers Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Command52
Zip Code: 19954

Finaly got my grandfathers Cub

Postby Command52 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi im new to this site, I have been reading a lot of the post and I see there is a lot of great information, I have been trying to get my grandfathers 1957 cub that he lost his life on due to a roll over in 1978, It has been in a barn every since. I finally got a call from my uncle 2 weeks ago to come get the tractor. I did last week ,I want to do a complete restore on the tractor including engine rebuild, My starting question is what books should I get , good service / rebuild manual, Parts manual and a restoration manual if there is such thing showing correct bolts , paint ect, I think it is a 1957 by serial number ,I was going to post picture but couldn't find the insert picture area Thank you Billy
Attachments
popop.jpg
Last edited by Command52 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drfting1
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 07461
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Finaly got my grandfathers Cub

Postby Drfting1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi welcome...sorry about what happened to your grandfather ... Glad you were able to get the cub.. You will be able to find any of the information you need here on this forum... They have a section with all service, owners and parts manuals .. There are also plenty of members here with tons of knowledge and experience on these cubs that would more than willing to help out, I couldn't have rebuilt mine without the assistance of the people here.... Good luck with her
Last edited by Drfting1 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drfting1
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Drfting1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Also I wouldnt jump into an engine rebuild if it doesn't need one..... Take your time and go over her and see what she truly needs... There is a very helpful topic here on "when you first get your cub home"

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub

Postby T-Mo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Bily, welcome to the forum.

I'm also sorry to hear about your grandfather. Rollovers happen, unfortunately, but it's makes it more real when it happens to a family member. As mentioned, take your time and read as much here and in the manuals as you can.

Again, welcome.

Drfting1
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Drfting1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Just a heads up the motor, I thought mine needed rebuild, was about ready to order all the parts, low compression in all cylinders 70-88... Read somewhere on this forum about treating with seafoam, so the whole time I was restoring mine, I kept pouring a little in each cylinder via spark plug hole and maybe a half turn every few days... By time I was done I was surprised how clean valves looked... Guessing it also freed up everything, when done I had compression of about 100-105... Used her the summer and gave another oil change.. Compression now 118-119 dry

bofahs
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Postby bofahs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Right at the top of this forum is a topic, "What to do with a Cub you just brought home". Pages and pages of good info and ideas. If you are new to the forum and to the tractor, this seems like the perfect place to start - read the many, many ideas - this will surely get you on the right track. Best of luck!

Command52

Postby Command52 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Thank you for all the great information Thanks Billy

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.

Below is the 1955 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend that people read it. It has much info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. It has pics of how the Cub originally looked. It has a table of contents on page 1.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

A 1957 Cub would have had a white grille, and white areas where the names on the hood are.
Below is a pic of a 1957 Cub. :)
Attachments
Cub 1957 3.jpg

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi,
The engine could still be good, and not need a rebuild, if it was in good condition when it was used before.
When you get it to turn, do a compression test on it and see what it has, then you know what the compression is.
It could have stuck valves too, they need freeing if there is any.
The rings could be stuck on the pistons, and need freeing. The guys on here recommend the oil additive that they said above. It takes some time running the engine for it to help.

If the engine hasn't been run in several years, you should prime the oil pump, they sometimes lose their prime and won't suck the oil up from the oil pan. Then there is no oil pressure when the engine is running.
Below is a picture of where the hole is that I use for priming the oil pump. Just remove the oil filter cover and oil filter, and it is easy to see, use a light if you need to.
I fill a clean oil can with motor oil, and pump it into the hole, you might need more than one filling of the oil can to fill the passages in the engine.
Watch the oil gauge after starting, it takes 15 - 20 seconds for the gauge to show pressure, it has to fill the oil filter housing before the gauge will show pressure. :)
Attachments
Cub oil filter.jpg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:09 pm

At the top left of the page is a little deal marked Quick Links. That will take you to manuals you can download for free. What is the serial number, the white paint showing makes me wonder if it is possibly a 1950 demonstrator. It is amazing how many people do not know the actual year of their tractor. My father had a 39 H he farmed with for 45 years, till I looked the serial number up and found it was actually a 41. The serial plate is on the right side of the radiator bolster behind the steering wheel shaft. Considering the year and short time it was used I would not tear into the engine until I was sure it needed it. Do you have the sheet metal that is not in the pictures, and is it reparable?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Command52

Postby Command52 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:17 pm

My number is 198728 j , It is great to see so many willing to help with these cubs Thanks for all your help I will need it

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Welcome to the best info forum for Cubs. Lots of knowledgeable people here to answer questions, and assist along the way with your project.
According to the Ser# you posted your Cub is a 1948. That being said, I agree that with that much white showing through the red, it may be a demonstrator. Others more knowledgeable than me can help with that.
I also have a '48 that I've been operating for 50 yrs. I hope you get it up and running to carry on the family traditon.
All you have to do is ask, we'll all help where we can.

Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:57 pm

I think Hutch missed a digit on the serial number. It is an early 1957 number.

There are several features that indicate newer than a demo model. For one, the Touch-Control rockshaft has the extra arm (1954 or later) and it has the demo-ish looking white paint.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Command52 wrote:My number is 198728 j , It is great to see so many willing to help with these cubs Thanks for all your help I will need it

Tractor SN of 198728J indeed makes it a 1957 not a 1948. The clamped front steering knuckles and rockshaft helper lift spring attachment point all lead to a later model tractor (not a demo).
You can tell the tractor has had changes made due to the Zenith carb installed. Anyones guess as to the color inconsistencies.

*Jim is faster...

Command52

Postby Command52 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:34 pm

I was getting ready to ask about the carb it is a zenith but cannot find any numbers on it , It also looks like the mounting base is to large for the manifold, If this isn't the correct carb would you have a picture of what should be on it and would it be ok to find a used carb and rebuild it
Attachments
wrong cub  arb 2.jpg
1wrong cub  carb 2.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”