This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Breaking a rear tire

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris B. Memphis TN.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38018
Tractors Owned: 1969 Ford 4000 3 cylinder diesel, engine just rebuilt top to bottom front to back.
Almost 800 mile round trip Memphis to just below Atlanta, Ga. to attain two red cubs about 1948. One with a single disk belly blade that runs. The other not running with a belly mower. Loose cultivators.

Re: Breaking a rear tire

Postby Chris B. Memphis TN. » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 pm

I posted these comments over on a front tire exchange, thought it worthy to mention. I used my log splitter & a 2' piece of 4 x 4. to break the beads off the rusted rims. Both sides of each. Easy Peasy. Used heavy duty lopping shears to work (chew) through the tire. Was able to use the shears to lift the bead above the rim so I could cut through with the hacksaw.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

donnyG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05753
Tractors Owned: 1955 International Cub Lo Boy

Postby donnyG » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Well lt's been a couple weeks and I got around to removing my back tire. Turns out the tube had a leak and it was so imbedded with rust i decided to replace it. I'm making a you tube video of this project and will let everyone know when it's posted. Probably not for another week or so. All in all not too difficult.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby inairam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:42 pm

If you are looking for new rims I just bought some. He shipped viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98933

But TM also has them and they are closer to you. With UPS it is probably a wash.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Nice. Did you leave the tire on the tractor, or work on it on the ground?

IMHO it's much easier to work tractor rears with the rim still attached to the tractor. I've helped do them all from 8.3x24 up to 20.8x38. The few times I've had to wrestle with a tire off the tractor, it was much harder because I could not get the leverage I needed. Usually ended up flipping the tire or flipping myself.

BTW, large-capacity locking pliers like these are the nuts for installing the tire back on the rim:

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:55 pm

I used to use a 2x8 and drive up on it, with the other side of the tire under a trailer or bumper so it wont flip, breaks the bead every time. a few crowbars and you do what you have to do. The wife n I swapped out 2 rears on the JD and had the new tires n tubes all set in a few hours. Dont know as I would have wanted to do it alone. I have used the loader before as an extra hand holding down one side. You can break a bead loose with the loader too just be sure your in the right spot n dont bend your rim

growing up on a farm when there wasnt a lot of extra money around you learn to make do with what you have. Nowadays if I can afford it, I let the guys at the tire shop do it :D . also if it doesn't hold air I can take it back and they make it right
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

donnyG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 05753
Tractors Owned: 1955 International Cub Lo Boy

Postby donnyG » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Nice. Did you leave the tire on the tractor, or work on it on the ground?

IMHO it's much easier to work tractor rears with the rim still attached to the tractor. I've helped do them all from 8.3x24 up to 20.8x38. The few times I've had to wrestle with a tire off the tractor, it was much harder because I could not get the leverage I needed. Usually ended up flipping the tire or flipping myself.

BTW, large-capacity locking pliers like these are the nuts for installing the tire back on the rim:

I removed the tire and tube on the tractor. i figured it would be better for leverage and just handling the weight although they are not too heavy.I have my centers reversed for stability while mowing. Might be a little harder breaking the back side in the standard orientation. i wish i had a set of those pliers. I'm going to put them on my xmas list. Personally I hate working on the ground. I'm 6 ft 4 and 66 and I get tired getting up and down a lot. Just got the new tubes today so will probably get er done Saturday.

Return to “Farmall Cub”