Trying to fit steering arms

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rjd
Zip Code: 00000

Trying to fit steering arms

Postby rjd » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:51 am

I hope I've not missed this information n my search.
I'm trying to fit the steering arms back on the spindles of my 47.
Problem is the holes in the spindles have been drilled out that large the tapered lock screw will go straight through.
Given shipping cost to Aus I'd rather try fixing the ones I have first.
So my question is what size should the hole be?
Is straight or tapered?
Any thing else I should know about?
Thanks Richard.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Trying to fit steering arms

Postby Glen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:57 am

Hi,
Too bad you are having trouble with that.

The spindle shafts have to have tapered holes for the lock bolts to tighten into.
The holes go all the way through the shafts. One end of the hole has a taper, and the other end does not have a taper. Are you sure you have looked at both ends of the holes.

Below are pics from TM Tractor of one arm, and a pic of the upper part of the shaft, showing the tapered hole. I don't know the size. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gst ... lb_001.htm
Attachments
Cub Spindle.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:53 am

Glen has you covered on how the steering arms are supposed to fit together.

Not recommended, folks have welded the arm to the spindle.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/steering.htm

Down quite a bit in the above link, How to fix drag link looseness. I've used this method on my narrow framed Cub Cadets and it works pretty well. Not sure if it will work on a Cub tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Here are a couple suggestions. I have never tried either, don't know if either one is a good idea.
1) The spindles are identical but the arms are left and right. Maybe you can swap the arms from side to side and redrill the spindles for the repositioned setscrews. The new holes need to be tapered to fit the points on the setscrews.
2) Get a pair of the newer style steering arms and have keyways cut into your spindles. I assume shipping would cost a lot less for 2 arms than 2 spindles.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Here are a couple suggestions. I have never tried either, don't know if either one is a good idea.
1) The spindles are identical but the arms are left and right. Maybe you can swap the arms from side to side and redrill the spindles for the repositioned setscrews. The new holes need to be tapered to fit the points on the setscrews.
2) Get a pair of the newer style steering arms and have key ways cut into your spindles. I assume shipping would cost a lot less for 2 arms than 2 spindles.
I believe George Willer, a deceased member switched sides and redrilled them. He made a tapered reamer to cut the holes in the spindles to the right size once the pilot hole was drilled.

I would think a decent machine shop could either fill in the holes and recut them, or drill new ones with the spindles swapped side to side as George did.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rjd

Postby rjd » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I don't think swapping steering arms from side to side will work as my axle is all the way in and the head of the lock screws will hit axle brackets.
I'm leaning towards filling and redrilling what I have.
How does swapping spindles help? Isn't the same side of the hole used regardless of which side of the tractor they are?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Swapping spindles would allow for new holes to be drilled, knuckles would stay with original side.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:00 am

The spindles are identical, not left and right (like the arms). Swapping them side to side would effectively put the oversize holes back in the same place.

John, did you type the wrong word when you said spindles?