Tranny question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
maybeacub
Zip Code: 10517
Tractors Owned: IH Cub 1972
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Tranny question

Postby maybeacub » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Ok so I've owned my Cub about a month or so. Why am I looking at another one! :lol:

I looked at one today, a '55, seemed to run ok but what I didnt like was the tranny. I found it wasnt easy to locate gears and wasnt sure when or if I returned it to neutral. Actually stalled it because I thought it was in neutral but was still in gear. Lots of slop in the shifting and didnt have a positive feel of going into any gear. I kept saying to myself "i think its in gear now".

Also the seller said previous owner put in a new clutch but it needed some adjusting.

Is this likely something minor or in store for serious tranny work?
"I have nothing to do today and by noon I want to be half done"

1972 Cub
Ariens GT16
Mahindra 2615

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tranny question

Postby Urbish » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:12 pm

All of the symptoms you describe point to sloppiness in the shifter forks and/or the upper transmission cover/shifter assembly. It's also possible that the shifter poppet balls have gone missing (they give you the 'notchy' feel when you shift and keep the transmission in the selected gear). All of these things are easy to remedy and accessible without fully disassembling the transmission. If you're handy and willing to learn, I wouldn't let any of that scare me away. Is the transmission noisy when running?

maybeacub
Zip Code: 10517
Tractors Owned: IH Cub 1972
Mahindra 2615HST
Ariens GT16
Sold- Oliver Super 55

Postby maybeacub » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm

No, the tranny wasn't noisy. What you describe, that notchy feeling, is what was not there. My Cub positively clicks into each gear. This one felt like mashed potatoes.
"I have nothing to do today and by noon I want to be half done"

1972 Cub
Ariens GT16
Mahindra 2615

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:36 pm

maybeacub wrote:No, the tranny wasn't noisy. What you describe, that notchy feeling, is what was not there. My Cub positively clicks into each gear. This one felt like mashed potatoes.

Super easy fix. If the springs and/or balls are missing:
Springs - $4.72/ea http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/3048fp.htm
Balls - $2.65/ea http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/1953fp.htm

If they are missing, you'll want to drain the transmission and flush with kerosene to be sure they aren't rolling around in there. Or you can go on a muck fishing expedition with a magnetic pick up tool. Draining and rinsing the transmission is the only way to be sure they are not in there though.

You may need a new gasket if the transmission cover gasket tears during disassembly (also available from TM Tractor). Buy one to keep on hand (you'll probably need it eventually anyway with not one but two Cubs) or use silicone form-a-gasket if you like to live life on the edge.

Relevant post: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86958&p=692907&hilit=gearbox+question#p692907

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi,
If you remove the shifter, it is good to clean everything inside the case, if it is dirty, with solvent and a brush, including the oil trough at the left side of the case, and the hole at each end of the oil trough, they let oil flow into the bearings below, on the clutch shaft.
Sometimes the holes are plugged. I use a drill bit the size to fit in the holes, and turn it down into the holes by hand, No electric drill. The drill bit collects the goop, and you can pull it out of the holes. You might need to clean the drill bit, and then turn it in again, if it won't go in fully in one try.
There might be more goop down farther in the holes that the drill bit won't get to. They have said on here before to use a wire, and try to open the passages. Try to get it so if you fill the hole with solvent, it will run down through the bearings. Compressed air might be helpful. Wear your safety glasses when using the air.

Remove the transmission oil drain plug and let the old oil and solvent drain out, if you use solvent to clean inside the case.

Below is a page from the Cub service manual telling a little about the shifter parts.
They are talking about removing the transmission on the page, so just use the info about the shifter parts, you aren't removing the trans.
Cover the holes with something to prevent the balls and springs from flying out as you remove the shafts, like it says in the Caution note on the page, the parts are at number 3 in the upper pic on the page.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 006-06.jpg

I think they have said on here that the 2 shafts have to move to the rear, when the Cub is assembled, and not split at the transmission.
I think they have said use a vise grip pliers on the shafts to move them.
Below is a pic of under the shifter cover. This is looking from the left side of the tractor.
The balls and springs are under the 2 shafts, at the left side of the pic, where the 2 holes in the case are.
Below that is a pic from TM Tractor of the side of the shifter rod showing the cuts the ball fits into for the different gear positions.
The cuts can wear where the ball runs on them, then the shifter has no positive feel, if the shafts are worn much, they needs replacing.
I'm not sure if that happens much on Cubs, but something to check if you take the trans apart. :)
Attachments
Cub trans 4.JPG
Cub shifter rod.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 pm

You might also find that the cup on the shifter is loose, forks are cracked or loose, or any combination of the these and the above suggestions. I'd suggest removing the tranny cover if you buy it and then decide what you need to repair it.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 pm

Use the funky feeling transmission at a bargaining point.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Karl Bader
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 18088
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall cub
1952 Farmall cub (some assembly required)

Postby Karl Bader » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Note: I heard the balls that are $2.65 each, are the same ones that you hear rattling in a can of spray paint...

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I forget what size they are, but you can buy ball bearings in bulk (50-100) from McMaster-Carr for under $10. https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-bearing-balls/=1akm75c

You may be able to find them individually at a decent hardware store for fairly cheap too.