This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Some advice please

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Re: Some advice please

Postby jsfarmall » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:33 pm

All ya ever used makes a difference lol. The nice thing about hand lift is it's more precise. The 70yr old touch control ain't to accurate anymore. I'm sure some been rebuilt and they are but mine ain't.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:47 pm

If you're looking into hand lift Cubs as a way to save some money and limit your investment in the second tractor, it's probably not worth it. The lion's share of Cubs are hydraulic lift. Hand lift Cubs are harder to find, and the hand lift really doesn't detract from their value much, if any.

You should be able to find a hydraulic lift Cub with minor issues, but nothing that would keep it out of the field, for around $1200 for a tractor with no attachments. Maybe the tires aren't new. Maybe it smokes a little. Maybe there's a leak here or there.

Don't get discouraged by the Craigslist wishers who seem to think their Cubs are worth $2500. Hang tight and keep cash in your pocket, and your eyes open. Be ready to pounce when one comes up.

Wilbilly
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 42275
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub, cub cadet original, 1946 Farmall A, 1982 484 ih, 1967 806 Farmall, 1943 b Allis chalmers , 1964 4000 ford,1983 7600 ford, sevral David Bradley walk behind, + parts and peaces.

Postby Wilbilly » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Yeah the cregslist situation is stupid around here. People thinks that pulling one out of the bushes and spraying some dollar store spray paint on one makes it a restoration lol. Iv seen several tractors that they don't even bother to pressure wash them, still got gobs of stuff on it under the new paint. There one cub that been on cregslist for two years know. It's got one wheel bad and has clearly not been ran in a while, it was 1800 and findly dropped down to 1200. I offed 500 and he told me to go f myself (exact words).
I can't say that I wasn't hoping that it be a little cheaper, but really I though it be neat to get lights and everything on mine I have know and the other one be hand lift and crank start no nothing on it just bc. I though it be a good contrast, and maybe I just like doing things the hard way lol. I had an h hand start for several years so I know you have to be careful cranking one by hand, I found keeping it tuned up in tip top shape hand starting isn't really that hard, agin I just like doing things the hard way lol.

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:02 am

That's the great thing about having a magneto. There have been times when money was tight and a new tractor battery just wasn't on the list. The mowing and snow plowing stil got done. Just a quick 1/2 turn of the crank and away you go.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:17 am

Wilbilly wrote:Yeah the cregslist situation is stupid around here. People thinks that pulling one out of the bushes and spraying some dollar store spray paint on one makes it a restoration lol. Iv seen several tractors that they don't even bother to pressure wash them, still got gobs of stuff on it under the new paint. There one cub that been on cregslist for two years know. It's got one wheel bad and has clearly not been ran in a while, it was 1800 and findly dropped down to 1200. I offed 500 and he told me to go f myself (exact words).

Yeah, same way around here. When my elderly mother in law still owned mine, she was of the opinion that it should sell for several thousand with a half done engine overhaul, newish paint, an incomplete cultivator set and the right hand lever for a 189 break plow but no plow to go with it. And it hadn't been started in years. It looked good, but that was about it. She still thinks it should sell for a small fortune when she forgets she gave it to me.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:30 am

Same here. I found a parts tractor that has been sitting at least 15 years with the head removed, radiator missing, no/incomplete equipment, etc. When I asked the widowed owner about it she quickly told me her contact people said it should bring at least $1500. I wished her well on finding a buyer.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:08 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:. . . her contact people said it should bring at least $1500. I wished her well on finding a buyer.

Sometimes I suggest that they sell it to whoever provided the pricing guidance.

I have also found on occasion that that sort of price advisory was really something like "If it runs it should be worth XXX" and the owner quickly forgets the "if it runs" part of the advice. After all, all you have to do is put it together and it would run.

Return to “Farmall Cub”