Lighter Wt winter oil?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Frozenstate
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Re: Lighter Wt winter oil?

Postby Frozenstate » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 am

All I run in all of my engines is Mobil 1. In the cub I run 10/30. It has been hovering near 0°F here and she starts just fine. No heat, just some choke and that's it. If everything is setup correctly, and you have a good battery your tractor should start always. Switching to 12v is. In my opinion not really needed also. These tractors were designed to work, in all weather. I wouldn't use full synthetic in an engine with very old seals, it will pour out. I wouldn't use diesel oil either. Too high detergent. Your best choice is motorcycle oil, it still has high zinc for flat tappet motors. Automobile oil has very low zinc and will burn a high lift racing can right up. Zinc is really needed in these old engines, or run full synthetic if your seals are good. Keep your tractor tuned and maintained, let it warm up with no load and, as originally designed it will work fine.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Low zinc is not a problem in a Cub.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Don’t go by the oil pressure gage when using a heavier weight oil. The oil goes to the gage that’s where it doesn’t move past it very well. A lack of oil will cause the farthest bearing to go. That’s the front rod bearing number 1 cylinder. If the tractor is stored outside a lighter weight oil should be used. Go by your manual it will back me up on what I’m saying.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Low zinc is not a problem in a Cub.
Correct. Valve springs only take 26 lbs. to compress them.
BigBill wrote:Don’t go by the oil pressure gage when using a heavier weight oil.
Oil filter housing and pressure gauge are at the very end of the oil galleries, oiled bearings, and pressure regulator valve. Oil pressure showing on the gauge, oil is being supplied to all the bearings.

Cold weather engine start up, actually immediately after every engine start up, check the oil pressure gauge. Let the engine warm up a few minutes before using the tractor.

Which oil to use, your choice.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 pm

I stress using a light weight oil in the winter time. On the warm up I let them run for a while. I’m in no rush to put them to work when it’s cold.

I had a bad experience with a L8 gravely walk behind tractor once. She spun the rod bearing while the PO owned it. I found out by an older gravely dealer to install a oil by pass line, this sent oil to the crankshaft first before the transmission and oil filter. I rebuilt the crankshaft and never had a problem since.

I use a 30wt oil in my cub cadets that mow grass.(summer use only). I use 15/40wt Mobil del vac oil in my 154 that mows only. I use 10/30wt oil in my 154 that plows snow. I may switch to a 5/30wt oil since the winters seem to get colder.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:58 pm

The important oil rating for cold starts in winter is the "W" classification, for example: 10W, 20W, 10W30, 5W30, etc. The "W" stands for winter. As far as I know, all multi-weight oils are W rated, for example 10W30. I don't believe 10-30 exists.

ShawnAgne
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"

Postby ShawnAgne » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 pm

I run 15w-40 diesel oil in the Cub and 300. The barn isn't heated or insulated yet (project for this spring) so been rather cold but haven't had any issues starting either one.
Shawn Agne