This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

front axle shaft

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Billnrolla
10+ Years
10+ Years

front axle shaft

Postby Billnrolla » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:04 am

i have a '49 cub and noticed excessive wear around the front axle pivot shaft and the steering knuckle post. does anyone know if there are bearing inside this housing and if so how difficult are they to replace? i have lubed this area regularly and just noticed the wear after brushhogging recently. thnx

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:41 am

There are bushings and thrust washers where the axle pivot pin passes through. There are also bushings at the top and bottom of the steering knuckle.

By the way - welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy the site. If you have not read Rudi's welcome wagon post, you should. It is full of good info and links.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Bushings

Postby allenlook » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:12 am

BD's right on the bushing vs. bearings, and to answer your question regarding difficulty, it is not difficult at all.

Please remember to support your tractor safely with jack stands or a "split stand" bolted into the implement attachments, and then take off the front axle by tapping out the axle pivot shaft. Don't leave it suspended in the air solely on a jack.

I don't mean to preach, but a fella was killed here where I work two days ago by an electric cart that fell of a jack. Just reminds me to be really, really careful when I work on the Cub!

If I remember correctly, the bushings are simply held in place by compressing bolts in the split housing at the front and rear of the axle pivot shaft and come out easily when the compressing bolts are removed. I need to do the same thing because I realized my thrust washers are missing!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:34 am

The bolts in the compression fitting fit into a grove in the pivot pin so when you put it back together make sure they line up. Really easy I have done it twice. Now changing the width of the front axle is another story that can get really interesting.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:42 am

And remember that the bolts must come all the way out to remove the pin.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:44 pm

It has taken three days to get my front axel apart. Some dummy welded the stering knuckles. The top bolts for the steering knuckles were broken inside,the holes.Lots of grinding and drilling. I hope I never have to do that again. 8) :) Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:46 pm

once you get them apart, there is a hole in the backsid you can stick a punch in and drive the broken point out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:00 pm

John

I found that out later.I had to drill half of the broken bolts that were still in the holes. Now I know why there were welded.Nothing comes easy. 8) :) Bruce

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Never

Postby allenlook » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:11 pm

I never have gotten my axle apart. Electro-soaked it for two weeks, but finally figured a previous owner had welded a tab onto the outer tube, and that must have welded through to the inner tube and they were never coming apart! :(
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:26 pm

Allenlook

A lot of Blaster and a 12 ton press really helps. 8) :{_}: Bruce

Return to “Farmall Cub”