This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch....

Postby LRiddle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Best of luck. It really isn't that bad of a job.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12804

Postby couchsachraga » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:38 am

Parts came in and I replaced them (given how chewed the "ears" on the clutch were I ended up replacing that and the pressure plate). That old throwout bearing was certainly shot!

Running, driving, and importantly plowing now with no grinding. Nice to have it back up and running - thank you all for your help:)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi,
Nice to hear that you have the Cub working again.

Cubs came with 2 covers under the clutch housing, they keep out dirt and animals.
I don't know if yours are gone, just thought I would mention it.

TM Tractor has new covers. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/843fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/475fp.htm

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Both covers are back on to keep those critters out. Cleaned them good too:)

Dan1959
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02766
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub and a 2015 John Deere 1023 with all the goodies

Postby Dan1959 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Yup.........what they said..........I have had problems in the past with TOB's I got my last one at TM tractor, so far so good.....The 1-1/4" dimension is also spot on. don't forget to grease the zerk fitting really well.Good luck. :wink:

kstegall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14424
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby kstegall » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 pm

I have a 1955 cub and I have put 3 throw out bearings and pressure plates in the last two years. I just ordered new ones but I got the steel bearing for the throw out bearing. Anyone had any experience with these. I have replaced all the parts of the throw out bearing and I always check the fingers for adjustment to 1 1/4 in and the 1/8 in for the bearing to the fingers. Anyone know what I am doing wrong. I do have a throw bearing that I have soaked in oil for the past year. Should I stick with it or go to the Steel bearing. Thanks.

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:45 am

So back early Feb. got this all back together, it sat for the rest of the winter, and was used all summer. After my parents used it for a bit I did have to re-adjust the clutch pedal (needed less travel vs the manual, or you'd be mashing the throwout bearing against the clutch figures).

Anyway, after using it a lot this summer and fall, while moving it forward and backward to put the chains (snow expected, needed to plow) it stopped going in to gear. I had them take the inspection plate off and take a picture - looks like the throwout bearing is there, but missing chunks. I did check the clutch fingers depth and even-ness as per the instructions, as well as soak the throwout bearing for a bit before installing it. And you can see the grease on the fitting too.

Any ideas what is going on? I'll look at it in person in another 10 days or so (Thanksgiving...nothing brings families together like broken Cubs;) ). I did replace the yoke and other bits while I was in there to remove "slop" in the linkages and such.

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 am

The clutch fingers look like they've been hot at the tips where the throwout bearing touches. You will need a new throwout bearing too. I'd guess it's either from riding the clutch or way out of adjustment.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:27 pm

By "it stopped going in to gear", do you mean the gears started to grind or moving the shift lever didn't engage anything? I assume the former.

Looks to me like the throwout bearing is not centered to the shaft, was running way to the left. The carrier should have been holding it pretty well centered. It may have been out of line from the time it was installed or something happened to it in use. With the bearing off center, the fingers were allowed to drop off the right side of the graphite block and run directly on the iron part of the bearing. The iron-on-iron rubbing may have been what caused the heat and wear damage to the fingers.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi,
I don't know why there is so much room between the throwout bearing, and the pressure plate fingers, in your pics, there is supposed to be 1/8", the owner's manual pic shows.
The pressure plate fingers might be adjusted too low, it shows how to set them in my post on page 1 of this post.
They always need checking and setting when the tractor is split, new clutches too.
There should never be metal to metal sounds when the clutch pedal is pushed down fully, with the pedal free play set to 1", like the manual shows. That is the throwout bearing metal, or the bracket, hitting the fingers.
Like Jim said, the bearing and holder looks offside on this one. The holder and bearing needed checking to see if they were contacting the fingers in the right position before using the tractor.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub owner's manual showing the clutch.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2056.jpg

The holder should not be so narrow that it will slide side to side on the top pin, the holder has to be fully as wide as the space made in the housing, so the bearing is held from moving side to side.
Check and see if the holder slides side to side any.
If needed, bend the upper part of the holder so it is as wide as the space for it. You have to have the Cub split to do that.
Then bend it so the bearing is in the right position with the fingers. You need to look in the bottom hole to do that. You might need to slide the Cub together, and apart again more than once to do that.
Slide the engine and clutch housing fully together, put in at least 1 of the long bolts on each side of the housing, and tighten the nuts, before getting under it to look. Use a good light to look in the hole.

If someone is riding the clutch pedal while using the Cub, that will not help the throwout bearing to last. Teaching people to keep their foot off the pedal can reduce the number of clutch repairs needed.

After repairing it, you can put a thin layer of grease on the front surface of the throwout bearing.
I find it reduces the friction when it pushes the fingers. :)
Last edited by Glen on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 pm

There appears to be a lot of thread showing on the finger adjustment screws. Usually when I have seen them, the nut is almost flush with the end of the screw or maybe up to 2 threads. Yours has 3. Are you sure you adjusted them to 1 1/4", measuring at the correct places? It could be the photo angles, but those fingers look very low.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”