crank case cover weld

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: crank case cover weld

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 am

crank start wrote:After reading all the responses have decided to remove the broken cover. Looking at bearing separator kits, they all seem to come in 2 and 3" sizes. Will this work to remove crank pulley? Thanks for all the help.

Not safely. Check the how-to section. There’s a couple ways to do it, but if you’re not careful, you’ll break the pulley as well. There are a couple of home-built setups that will do the trick.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02 am

I use a Harbor Freight bearing separator and puller. I am not sure why that would be unsafe.
Heat and pull.

Using a 2 or 3 jaw pulley puller may break the pulley.

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 am

Clamp the bearing separator behind the pulley on the hub and put the gear puller on the separator. That way no force is on the edges of the pulley where they tend to break.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 am

crank start wrote:Looking at bearing separator kits, they all seem to come in 2 and 3" sizes. Will this work to remove crank pulley?
Those sizes will work on the crank shaft pulley. They will also work for pulling steering wheels.

If you are going to purchase one, buy quality. I picked up one at auction. Purchased an inexpensive bearing separator, broke first attempt to use.

If you have access to a plasma cutter and some thick steel plate, you can make one in a few minutes. If the plans are no longer on this site, PM Ron Baker (MidMo) on this site. He may still have the plans.

Edit. If you purchase a bearing separator, purchase on with 3 different pulley sizes, one with a size smaller than 2". Reason, you will need a smaller size to remove the pulley from generators, starter/generators, electric motors, etc..
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 pm

I use certainium alloys and research company castiron arc welding rod. Now following the correct way to weld castiron the joint preparation is the key to doing it right. The joint must be beveled so more weld can be applied. Preheat mush be done before welding. After the welding is done it mush be cooled down slowly. The weld will hold up.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.