This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

KA-CHEW!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

KA-CHEW!

Postby Willy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 pm

I just took a couple mile trip each way to go pull my stepson's SUV from where he'd stuck it in his yard yesterday. About a 15min drive each way. I'd gone about 2/3s of the way home and was going downhill in 3rd, about 3/4 throttle, and heard a loud "KA-CHEW" from the left side of the engine with a puff of vapor coming from the oil breather area of the engine. Other than that no unusual noises and it kept running great like it always does, so I headed on to the shop and parked it in it's "stall". Just the one time and it sounded like a bunch of pressure being released is the best I can describe it.

The only thing I can think of is the oil breather being clogged up and the noise and vapor was it's relieving pressure from the crankcase. I think I'm going to see if I can clean it out in a coffee can of kerosene.

But, I'd sure like to hear any other ideas of what the KA-CHEW was.

Willy

PS: Almost stuck the Cub trying to pull that SUV and sure tore his yard up doing it. But once Lil Red started pulling that Nissan, I sure wasn't letting up until I got both on solid ground.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: KA-CHEW!

Postby Willy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Got the breather cleaned out (it was kind of nasty) and changed the oil and filter while I was at as it still had the oil in it from when I first started it up about a month ago. I'm pretty sure that the breather was clogged up.
Waking up the ol' Cub

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:31 am

I'm sure the breather had a little to do with it but sounds to me like it was due to higher rpms with a "reverse" load on the engine and caused a bit of a backfire through the intake. Instead of the engine pulling the tractor, the tractor pulling the engine from going downhill. I'm not in the hills but there is a river levee real close. I have occasionally had something like you described but not quite as bad as you described.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Normally coasting down the hill you'll get backfires out the exhaust on an otherwise normally operating tractor. I've seen some pretty impressive fireballs from our Super M over the years due to this.

Your engine almost certainly has some blowby/leakage past the rings, and the backfire partially ended up in the crankcase, where it would naturally come out the breather.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Normally coasting down the hill you'll get backfires out the exhaust on an otherwise normally operating tractor. I've seen some pretty impressive fireballs from our Super M over the years due to this.

Your engine almost certainly has some blowby/leakage past the rings, and the backfire partially ended up in the crankcase, where it would naturally come out the breather.
I think Matt has the correct idea. I used to think it was fun to sut off ignition switch for a few seconds when going downhill with a hot engine and turn it back on to sometimes get a backfire. Then I started wondering what would happen if that rusty muffler about 3 feet in front of my face blew apart with the backfire. I am not real pretty as it is, and did NOT want to make it any worse. :o
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. I would be surprised if there wasn't some blowby/leakage still considering how long it's sat since 2005 without being run but about an hour in 2012. I still get a little smoke on startup that quickly clears up.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:21 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: I used to think it was fun to sut off ignition switch for a few seconds when going downhill with a hot engine and turn it back on to sometimes get a backfire. Then I started wondering what would happen if that rusty muffler about 3 feet in front of my face blew apart with the backfire. I am not real pretty as it is, and did NOT want to make it any worse. :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”