This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Runs Good but Hot & smoky

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97526
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1953 FCub

Cub Runs Good but Hot & smoky

Postby farmergiffIV » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:01 pm

I took out my '53 to test run under load (I ran a basket weeder) this is all after I did an initial carb float adjustment and spark gap adjustment she starts up real good and easy now but I noticed the exhaust was slightly smoky and whitish but not very thick though lingered for awhile and was present the whole time I ran the tractor for probably 30 minutes. Also, the radiator began to spew just a little bit like 1/2 a teaspoon worth of 50/50 came out of the top hole near the fill lid. Oil pressure was about 80%-85% the whole time, running far right but not extreme on the needle. I ran the cub in 1 and 2 second gear at higher throttle while driving basket weeder in the ground 2 inches; it was 60 degrees or cooler yesterday while I did this.

Also, any tips to keep from running too hot, say if the oil pressure gauge is all the way as it will go and spewing radiator fluid then I figured that would be a sign of running real hot. Mine wasn't like this though the fuel gauge was pointing right but not extreme right but I turned off the tractor early anyways worryin about maybe overheating after the radiator spewed another drop or two of radiator fluid.

Engine oil looks brand new clean even after running; I just changed it though and this is the first time I ran the tractor under load myself.

A few things I plan to do;

check valve clearance and adjust, I haven't done this yet on any tractor so I might need tips do you need any special tools?

Perhaps I'll double check the hydraulic lines are fully purged of air although I did what the manuals says, except I am running general purpose tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid and not hy trans, perhaps this is putting extra pressure on the engine to perform?

Double check proper radiator fluid level, then perhaps compression test, but I rather do an additive first like seafoam or marvels.

I really want to make sure I don't overheat and also I want to get the engine running smooth: no smoke or clean exhaust. (is there a normal exhaust to even compare to?)
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

My '53 and '48 Cub Project

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Runs Good but Hot & smoky

Postby Slim140 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Your oil pressure has nothing to do with it running hot. Was the radiator filled all the way up to the neck? If so then it was just finding it's comfort level and will spew some until it gets to around the bottom of the pipe in the top of the radiator when it cools off. Your liquid will expand when it gets hot thus causing it to come out the overflow tube and then when it cools it will be down around the pipe.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:27 pm

If you have hydraulic fluid in the system and full, ran the tractor for 30 minutes, the system is fully purged.

Some general purpose hydraulic fluid is Hy-Tran compatible. If you are concerned, internet search using the specs from the oil container, compare to Hy-Tran. Anyway, I have been using the GP hydraulic fluid in my Cub for years with no problems.

I would finish the engine tune up, add some Sea Foam, run for some time, see what happens.

Cub engines run hot, close to 200 degrees F. As Shane stated, check the coolant level. I don't think it's a problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Air/Fuel mixture might need tweaked after your carb adjustment.
History of engine and condition of rings matters too.
Mine needed run hard quite a while after stopping the hydraulic fluid leak into crankcase before it quit being a steady smoker. Still a smoker at start up...and I really smell like " tractor breath" after a run.

Radiator ,as mentioned will have coolant expand and run out overflow. Liquid now. A tiny steam might be spotted down the road if it is cold outside ,
It looks low when it finds the level it wants to be at.

No water pump. A clean radiator ( inside and outside) and proper working fan are what cool your Cub.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi,
I would set the ignition timing with a timing light, you didn't post any pics or say, a 1953 Cub probably has a Battery Ignition unit. The timing has to be right, so the engine has good power.
It is possible that if the timing is too much wrong, it can make the engine run hotter.

It is normal for coolant to come out the overflow tube as the engine warms up, after you first refill the cooling system.

Below is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling how to adjust the valves.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2055.jpg

You said the coolant came out the top hole near the filler lid, there was originally an overflow pipe soldered onto the radiator. Below is a listing at TM Tractor showing the tube, and a pic from TM Tractor showing the tube. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/co/144fp.htm
Attachments
Cub radiator.jpg

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Ok, i’ll Try valve tune up first then timing light and has anyone ever used a infarared or laser style thermostat? I could just point it at the engine to cure my worries of running hot..
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:25 pm

farmergiffIV wrote:Ok, i’ll Try valve tune up first then timing light and has anyone ever used a infarared or laser style thermostat? I could just point it at the engine to cure my worries of running hot..
Kitchen cooking/baking thermometer. You just need one with a probe that reaches into the coolant.

Warmed up engine, on a hot/warm day the coolant will read around 200 F, but less than 212F.

There is a discussion on this site where individuals tested their engines coolant temperature.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Yes if you.fill the radiator completely full some will.come out to find it's happy spot. I own 3 cubs and all.3 are different spots. As long as the water covers your radiator tubes inside your good. Really gotta work one bad hard to over heat it when it's full of water.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:17 am

Also make sure you mix the coolant and water before you put it in the radiator.
Shawn Agne

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:11 am

I would not equate "teaspoon" or "drops" with "spewing."

Most likely your radiator was a little over full. One common mistake people make is they see coolant come out, so they top off the radiator, then more coolant comes out, so they top off the radiator again, then even more coolant comes out, and they get worried that their Cub is overheating.

Reality is, it's just fine. Water expands when heated. There is no overflow jug on a Cub, and the system is not sealed, so there has to be air space in the top of the radiator to account for this. The radiator should only be filled to just above the top of the fins. You can see them if you shine a light in the neck and look at an angle.

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am

Eugene wrote:
farmergiffIV wrote:Ok, i’ll Try valve tune up first then timing light and has anyone ever used a infarared or laser style thermostat? I could just point it at the engine to cure my worries of running hot..
Kitchen cooking/baking thermometer. You just need one with a probe that reaches into the coolant.

Warmed up engine, on a hot/warm day the coolant will read around 200 F, but less than 212F.

There is a discussion on this site where individuals tested their engines coolant temperature.

I don't wanna get steamy hott 50/50 blown over me. I don't need a facial. :D
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 am

farmergiffIV wrote:I don't wanna get steamy hott 50/50 blown over me. I don't need a facial. :D
You probably have a zero pressure radiator cap. But in any event, leave the cap loose or remove the cap during engine warm up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:02 am

Eugene wrote:
farmergiffIV wrote:I don't wanna get steamy hott 50/50 blown over me. I don't need a facial. :D
You probably have a zero pressure radiator cap. But in any event, leave the cap loose or remove the cap during engine warm up.

Ok-i’ll Test this out. Is there anyone out there that you know of/have seen put an engine temperature gauge up on the dash? My only concern is running these hot and i’ll Hurt the engine..
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

Big ed
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 40511

cub tractors

Postby Big ed » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 am

I'm a new cub owner,trying to rewire it any sujestions

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: cub tractors

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:29 am

Big ed wrote:I'm a new cub owner,trying to rewire it any sujestions
Welcome to the Forum. You'll get more comments if you start a new post. As for rewiring, you can make your own or buy a complete harness ready to install. Brillman's is a well respected source on this forum.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Return to “Farmall Cub”