Possible Freeze up

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rsylvain
5+ Years
5+ Years

Possible Freeze up

Postby rsylvain » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:58 am

I have a 1953 Farmall Cub. Over the past few months we have had some extremely cold temps. I had replaced the antifreeze in the Spring with a Premix and last week went into the barn to notice the cardboard below wet. Open the cap and noticed the radiator was empty. I have owned for many years and we have had cold temps prior, but not this length of time.

How best do I research/search or find the reasoning for this happening. What advise can you help me within determining the cause and required steps for this process.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Possible Freeze up

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Put new clean cardboard on the floor, under the radiator. I would install 50/50 mix of antifreeze. I would stop at 2 or 3 quarts, if the radiator will take that much.

Wait for the first drip to hit the cardboard, then trace the drip back to it's source.

Flashlight held at an angle, check the fluid level in the radiator. Above the tubes, OK.

The cardboard may be wet from humidity. Happens in my unheated shop, everything will be wet from condensation.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jsfarmall
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 72454

Postby jsfarmall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Don't use 50 50 mix. It's cheaper to buy a gallon of straight stuff and add equal amount of water. In a pinch it works but expensive per gallon. In a cub it takes roughly 2 gallons. 50 50 will cost 18ish. Straight is 12 a gallon and top with water. ....anyway....

Put some anifreeze of your choice, and as said above watch for leak. Could be just a hose or leak in the radiator gasket.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 pm

jsfarmall wrote:Don't use 50 50 mix. It's cheaper to buy a gallon of straight stuff and add equal amount of water.
Actually that's what I meant by 50/50 mix.

I buy a gallon of straight antifreexe, pour half in another container. fill both with water. Keep a couple gallons on the shelf. If the foil tab covering the opening below the cap has been opened, then the antifreeze is 50/50. If foil is intact, straight antifreeze.

Thinking back. I use to go to the dollar stores in summer and purchase gallon containers of straight antifreeze for under $2.00 a gallon. $10- and I had enough to change the antifreeze in my vehicles and tractors.

Edit. Went into the old garage, now garden storage building behind the house this afternoon. Concrete floor was moist from condensation.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Maybe prepare to catch fluid ,and open the drain.
See how much fluid is missing to compare to capacity.
If a quart or less is missing a high leak can be suspected. Should be tell tale weep stain sign if radiator.

Refill and watch for a leak. Mild pressure could speed up process,but was not needed for original leak ; if leaking.
Cardboard should have tell tale coolant odor, (similar to radiator or coolant jug scent inside).

Bolster below radiator shows repairs on some Cubs.
Expansion of ice being one possible cause.
Your's having mix in it should have avoided that though....With a 50/ 50 mix. Unless you were more than 40 below or something.

MiCarl
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:17 am

It's not necessarily freeze up. When temperatures change things expand and contract. A seal or gasket that is marginal may have started to weep.
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 am

I had one where an upper hose started to leak when it got cold. It was an old stiff hose on a somewhat pitted outlet elbow, but still not clear why it started to leak when the temperature dropped.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Actually, radiator hose "cold leaks" are not at all uncommon. Back when I was working on heavy trucks, we'd find leaky hoses on about any very cold morning. The clamps are the cause, in very cold temps, they don't maintain the needed tension. The solution is the spring clamps that everyone (myself included) hates, as they more or less give and take, maintaining the needed tension. I've never had a cold leak with a spring clamp.