This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission seep holes open or not

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Command52
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19954

Transmission seep holes open or not

Postby Command52 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:43 am

I think I messed up. I pulled the top of my transmission , Oil was a little milky , I cleaned it all out put it back together new gasket some sealer and Then I read on here about the 2 little seep holes that oil the bearings have to be clean. I have no idea now if they were open or not. what should I do ruin the gasket and take a look or ???

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rockfarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission seep holes open or not

Postby rockfarmer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 am

Take a look...it's important that the holes are open, especially if you have the old style bearings. I recently replaced all the bearings on Rocky, and the new style bearings that I used had no "oiling hole" in them, so I'm not sure how important it is for the newer style bearings. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in soon. Maybe you will get lucky and not destroy the gasket. If you do mess up the gasket, there is always permatex Great Stuff. Should be available at your local auto or hardware store.

PTO Cleaned.jpg

You can see them, cleaned in the above photo.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Those holes do need to be open, unless you used sealed bearings. Those weep holes as I recall come down on top of the bearing and make a turn into the space between the outside oil seal and the bearing. They may come down directly into that opening, I do not remember. I learned a good lesson about those bearings once. I bought another transmission shaft to replace a bad one on my cub and it already had a good bearing on it. The bearing was sealed on one side, which would hold the oil in the bearing and not let it drain out. I washed it out and poured some oil on it to lubricate it, without removing it from the shaft. About 2 weeks later the bearing was growling, and when I pulled the shaft back out, I realized the bearing was turned with the seal toward the transmission seal and was blocking the oil form getting to the bearing. I should have noticed that the first time, but never thought about the bearing being on the shaft backwards. :oops:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Command52
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19954

Postby Command52 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Thank you , I pulled it apart and sure enough the were blocked Thank You

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:45 pm

I use a drill bit, the size of the holes, no electric drill, just the drill bit, and turn it down into the holes. It collects the goop or dirt, and then you can pull it out of the holes. It might not go fully in the hole all in one try. You might need to go part way, and pull the bit out, and clean it, then go in more.
You probably need pliers to turn the drill bit into the holes.
After cleaning the holes, I would use air in the holes, and blow open anything plugging the passages into the bearings. The drill bit can't open down into the bearings. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”