Rockshaft extension

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Monstercub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06478
Tractors Owned: 1949 CUB

Rockshaft extension

Postby Monstercub » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Hello everyone, enjoying a New England winter right now.
Quick question on the hydraulics. Is it possible or has anyone tried to extend the rear lifting arm
by lets say bolting a bar to it? I picked up a rear pull tiller (not for a cub) but can use it if only the arm
was longer to lift and lower it. Thank you

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Rockshaft extension

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:33 pm

The longer that arm gets the less the unit is going to lift, so if you double it''s length it will only lift around 150 to 200 pounds (my guess on weights, never measured it). If it is a chain lift the chain can be at an angle, the Howard tiller which was built for the cub lift chain runs at an angle. if the tiller you are looking at is pto drive rather than self powered, remember that a cub pto turns CCW and at engine rpm (1800 full throttle), as opposed to a standard pto that turns CW at 540 rpm
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:58 am

And also remember that the Cub runs pretty fast in 1st gear for tilling ground. Most likely it will be too fast to use a tiller, unless you had a creeper gear installed on the Cub.

Side Question: Can a creeper gear from a Cub Cadet be installed on a Farmall Cub tractor? Never have gotten to look at one real close but my thoughts are that the transmission cases are pretty much the same it might work??
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:55 am

That would probably take quite a bit of fab work since it would have to go into the driveshaft tunnel (between the clutch and the transmission) For a slower ground speed, people typically look for the howard rotovator speed reducer. This goes between the transmission and the final, but are difficult to procure in a complete set. (expensive)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade