How to Prime the Oil Pump

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

How to Prime the Oil Pump

Postby Stanton » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:35 pm

This is often referred to when a new Cub owner brings home their first tractor, but I didn't see this one in the How To Forum (at least under "Engine, Clutch, Transmission & Hydraulics").

Before trying to start the engine of a Cub that has sat for a period of time (perhaps months, certainly years), it is necessary to prime the oil pump to make sure oil is pumped the moment the engine begins. Failure to do this may cause damage to the engine. It is suggested to replace the old oil filter with a new one while doing this task. Use a Wix #51153 or equal. Oil used to prime the pump is the same oil in the engine or you're planning to use.

1. The oil filter housing is located on the right side; between the magneto or distributor and the gas tank (highlighted below). Open the top of the oil filter housing by removing the center bolt and cap.
    Oil Filter Housing.JPG
  2. Remove old oil filter and rubber seal ring (if present).
  3. Clean housing lip and underside of cap. Depending on the condition of your oil housing, you may want to clean the inside. There is a drain pipe extending below the housing.
  4. Inside the housing, find the small diameter hole in the back (highlighted below).
    Primer Hole.jpg
  5. Using a small oil can with a flexible spout, insert the tip into the hole and pump some oil into it until oil overflows back into the filter housing.
    Pumping Oil.JPG

Primed.JPG
  6. The oil pump is now primed.
  7. The holes in the top and bottom of your new oil filter may not be the same size. Use your center bolt to determine which way the filter is supposed to go, then insert the new oil filter, rubber seal ring and top. Secure top with center bolt. Wix and some others have the rubber ring included in the box, others like Fram may not. You may have to clean and re-use the rubber seal ring if in good shape.

Hope this helps new Cub owners how to prime the oil pump.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Re: How to Prime the Oil Pump

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Nice post, but I'd say the pump isn't primed until oil spits out that hole as the engine is turned over.
I've had to repeat step 5 multiple times to get the pump primed.

Jim in SC
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 29527
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall H
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1999 John Deere LT155
2018 Husqvarna YTH18542

Postby Jim in SC » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 am

RaymondDurban wrote:Nice post, but I'd say the pump isn't primed until oil spits out that hole as the engine is turned over.

LOL - just make sure you turn the engine over using the hand crank with the switch off! Otherwise you or your shop will be wearing about a quart of oil! Don't ask how I know...
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Sir Winston Churchill / George Orwell.
1951 Farmall H
1969 IH Cub Cadet 106
1998 John Deere LT 155
2018 Husqvarna

tmays
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39180
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub

154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:03 am

Lorisfarmer wrote:
RaymondDurban wrote:Nice post, but I'd say the pump isn't primed until oil spits out that hole as the engine is turned over.

LOL - just make sure you turn the engine over using the hand crank with the switch off! Otherwise you or your shop will be wearing about a quart of oil! Don't ask how I know...

A lot easier to turn over with the starter and ignition switch off. Assuming starter works, of course
Thomas

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 am

I have never had to prime one from setting, but when assembling after a rebuild or pump removal I do this, however I remove the spark plugs so it cranks faster, and sometimes spin it with 12 volts unil it starts pushing oil back out the hole into the oil filter canister,
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Great post Stanton!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:54 pm

I use a Chevy small block oil pump I threaded so hoses can be used. I connect the out put hose to the oil gallery and the other to a gallon of motor oil. I run the pump with a tripple gear reduction 1/2” drill. I watch the oil pressure gauge or on other engines watch for the rocker arms to get oil. If I can’t prime the new oil pump I pack it with grease so it sucks the motor oil right away. By turning over the engine with the spark plugs out. I took a Chevy distributor and machined off the gear and cut the top rotor shaft so it can be spun to prime the Chevy v8’s oil system. I never start any new engine dry.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Stanton » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 am

Good point, Raymond. I can add something along those lines to #5. Thanks!

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have never had to prime one from setting, but when assembling after a rebuild or pump removal I do this, however I remove the spark plugs so it cranks faster, and sometimes spin it with 12 volts unil it starts pushing oil back out the hole into the oil filter canister,

Thanks, John. I just see this suggestion so often to new Cub owners that it would be nice to get a visual "How To" in front of them. So many of us are visual learners, instead of just reading about it. Priming a pump on one that has sat for years may not be required, as your experience shows, but it couldn't hurt. I could re-word the upper part of the description to include doing this on a rebuilt engine as well.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:50 am

This is great! It has been needed for a long time! Keep up the good work, Stanton...this kind of post is what this forum is all about. :hattip:

On another note...maybe we could take a look at the rest of the HOW TO's and name a list of what others we need...e.g. adjusting the distributor for setting the timing, or even something as common as removing the hood/tank for the "new owners" who haven't done or watched it done. :{_}:
Last edited by Dale Finch on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy4570
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
51 Farmall Cub
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
57 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP
various other GTs

Postby Indy4570 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:54 am

it is very important information. I wish I had gotten it sooner :P
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

coppersmythe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70785
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . '57 higgins v-drive wooden boat/original graymarine 4 banger . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 am

I "dry started " my first one .

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Stanton » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:32 am

Dale Finch wrote:This is great! It has been needed for a long time! Keep up the good work, Stanton...this kind of post is what this forum is all about. :hattip:

On another note...maybe we could take a look at the rest of the HOW TO's and mame a list of what others we need...e.g. adjusting the distributor for setting the timing, or even something as common as removing the hood/tank for the "new owners" who haven't done or watched it done. :{_}:

Good suggestions. We normally rely on members to post the How To's.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety