This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throw out bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kstegall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14424
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Throw out bearing

Postby kstegall » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:40 pm

I have a 1955 cub and I have put 3 throw out bearings and pressure plates in the last two years. I just ordered new ones but I got the steel bearing for the throw out bearing. Anyone had any experience with these. I have replaced all the parts of the throw out bearing and I always check the fingers for adjustment to 1 1/4 in and the 1/8 in for the bearing to the fingers. Anyone know what I am doing wrong. I do have a throw bearing that I have soaked in oil for the past year. Should I stick with it or go to the Steel bearing. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throw out bearing

Postby tst » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:46 pm

did you pre soak the bearings and grease them with cheap grease before installing?, 1" of free play in the pedal?

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:06 pm

In addition to tst's questions, I would lean toward 'riding the clutch.'

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Agree with everything previously stated.

The pressure plate fingers have to be adjusted to with in .010" measurement. Closer is better.

Next issue is that some of the kits being offered/sold are not very good. Junk in my opinion. Suggest purchasing a rebuilt American made pressure plate and other parts from site sponsors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:37 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:In addition to tst's questions, I would lean toward 'riding the clutch.'

Bill

Which would include spring not bringing the pedal all the way back or pedal binding and not returning all the way
Thomas

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi,
Some of the guys on here have said that they have not had good service from the ball bearing, or whatever bearings they have, throwout bearings.

Some of the guys on here have said that the original IH clutches in Cubs are better quality than some of the new replacement ones made nowadays. If you still have the original pressure plate, and if you can tell if it is an original pressure plate, which is not easy sometimes, and it is still in good condition, you could use it again.
Some of the guys prefer using the originals.

If you want to replace all the parts, you could try buying them at Case IH, or the guys on here say that TM Tractor at the bottom of the page, has good quality parts.

Below is TM Tractor's clutch section. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/cl_001newparts.htm

Return to “Farmall Cub”