This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Very frustrated!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bulletcub92
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47523

Very frustrated!

Postby Bulletcub92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:55 am

In need of some help guys I’m very lost, I have a 1948 cub, distributor, 6 volt. I have spark, compression, fuel and air, but no luck. I had it running last summer and to my mistake I let it sit this winter and I haven’t had any luck since, any suggestions? Thanks in advance

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

chuck ma
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01436
eBay ID: chuszy
Tractors Owned: 1950 Fcub 193 plow{2}, 54grader/plow, cord wood, saw 22, mower
1962 loboy 54lplow,22 mower, right angle pto (2) 5ft drag harrow
1957 case 310 roundnose w/loader/ 6 ft york rake 6 ft back blade, 6ft box blade w/scarifiers, ford 951 rotary cutter, dearborn double bottom plow, 6ft disc harrow, 300lb spreader, 2 row dearborn planter
1974 JD 140 garden tractor 46 mower deck, briny 10" plow (2) brinly cultivator, 54 plow, 48 sweepster, cozy cab,49 blower, 80 brass tag cart 48" drop spreader
1984 JD 160 lawn tractor 38'deck 36"plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Very frustrated!

Postby chuck ma » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:19 am

So the motor spins but does not start? Did you drain the fuel and add fresh gasoline? How much compression do you have? Is fuel getting into carburetor and cylinders? Do you spark at each cylinder? Start with the simple things like changing the fuel with recently purchased fuel and cleaning carburetor . What about spark plugs are the clean?
Chuck
Ain't no shame in being early

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 am

Might not hurt to prime the oil pump again.

Pull the main jet out of the carb and carefully catch gas while letting fresh gas enter and stale gas get flushed from fuel line while jet is out.
Shut off fuel and then clean jet.
Replace jet and try again.
If no go ,maybe clean points and check gap.

If you pull a spark plug again...check gap for .23.

Be patient. Not easy sometimes ,but if cub is not popping off don't fight it. Outsmart it eventually.

Bulletcub92
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bulletcub92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:58 am

chuck ma wrote:So the motor spins but does not start? Did you drain the fuel and add fresh gasoline? How much compression do you have? Is fuel getting into carburetor and cylinders? Do you spark at each cylinder? Start with the simple things like changing the fuel with recently purchased fuel and cleaning carburetor . What about spark plugs are the clean?
Chuck

Yes spins but no start. Yea fresh fuel, yes it’s getting to carb and cylinders, I’m getting very good spark at #1 but will check the rest this evening, compression was good a couple months ago but I can recheck. I’ve gone through carb and seems very clean.and I’ll reclean the plugs tonight also

Bulletcub92
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bulletcub92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Waif wrote:Might not hurt to prime the oil pump again.

Pull the main jet out of the carb and carefully catch gas while letting fresh gas enter and stale gas get flushed from fuel line while jet is out.
Shut off fuel and then clean jet.
Replace jet and try again.
If no go ,maybe clean points and check gap.

If you pull a spark plug again...check gap for .23.

Be patient. Not easy sometimes ,but if cub is not popping off don't fight it. Outsmart it eventually.

Will try these tonight, giving me a bit of a headache since I had it running last summer a mowed with it once a week, it sat many years before I had it also. Points and gap should be ok I put a tube up kit in distributer. But I will check gaps on the plug

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Are you attempting your starts with a fully charged battery?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bulletcub92
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bulletcub92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Are you attempting your starts with a fully charged battery?

Yep sure am, it’s spinning plenty fast. Last night it hit maybe twice for me but not hard hits. It’s gotta be burning some fuel it’s pushing smoke out when trying

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Sounds like stuck rings or valves. Compression test will let you know.
Thomas

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Bulletcub92 wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:Are you attempting your starts with a fully charged battery?

Yep sure am, it’s spinning plenty fast. Last night it hit maybe twice for me but not hard hits. It’s gotta be burning some fuel it’s pushing smoke out when trying

Oooo ,it's teasing you...

Had some awful hard starts this winter. Tractor would poof on what seemed like one cylinder.
Then almost start. Almost...
Multiple factors , but plug gap too big was the biggest one. Guess that counts as electrical?

Throttle position has a sweet spot for starting . Can be a third of it's range but each tractor can have it's ways. Choke does too. Choke position can be an ambient temp. deal also.
Then choke position after it almost starts if it does not run when it pops off.

You can take a quick peek at the linkage behind the carb at the choke lever to be sure it is not slipping. Or watch the outside lever ( the rectangular piece used for manual/finger control of choke plate on tractors without a choke rod to operator station) and be sure the choke plate responds to using the rod.

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551

Postby Clip » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:32 pm

I had spark when testing by pulling the plug and grounding but didn't have enough oomph to do it under pressure. Swapped for a new coil and no more issues.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:21 pm

I've had dirty points ( not burned or pitted) clean up alright by closing them and dragging a fairly new dollar bill through them a few times.
An old sickle bar walk behind (head scratcher about the brand) that had sat for years fired up and ran after cleaning them.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:02 pm

You might try pull starting it, if you're in a position to do that.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Fresh plugs...autolite 3116 NOT champion. Then work from there.
We fought the 63 to start for YEARS...then Pop converted to 12v. Hard starts are a thing of the past.
As a 6v system...the tractor ate everything electrical....starting with a battery every year or two. Plugs every year. Never would start when it was cold outside. As a 12v tractor...it starts in 15 below and uses plugs once a decade....and starts every spring like it was started yesterday....

Bulletcub92
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bulletcub92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Don McCombs wrote:You might try pull starting it, if you're in a position to do that.

Exactly what I just got done doing, had a little more luck!

Bulletcub92
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bulletcub92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Turns out it may have just been the carb the whole time, did a few pull starts and she started to warm up, would idle on choke but die as soon as choke was off. So pulled the main jet and cleaned it, also pulled fuel line and cleaned the screen which had a little junk inside. Buuuuut (there’s always a but) my main jet broke it half inside the carb. I’d say it had previous damage as I was not by any means cranking down on it. So I remembered my box of goodies I got when I purchased my cub had another ih carb, I dug for about an hour and found it and with my luck of course it also had a main jet broke inside.... so I’ll be getting some parts and cleaning her real good again and hopefully be back on here with good news soon!

Return to “Farmall Cub”