This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Very frustrated!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bulletcub92
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47523

Re: Very frustrated!

Postby Bulletcub92 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:35 pm

ntrenn wrote:Fresh plugs...autolite 3116 NOT champion. Then work from there.
We fought the 63 to start for YEARS...then Pop converted to 12v. Hard starts are a thing of the past.
As a 6v system...the tractor ate everything electrical....starting with a battery every year or two. Plugs every year. Never would start when it was cold outside. As a 12v tractor...it starts in 15 below and uses plugs once a decade....and starts every spring like it was started yesterday....

Been really wanting to convert to 12. But not sure if I could figure all that out on my own

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:12 pm

I'd suggest that you start spraying the main with a good penetrating oil into the bowl and down the discharge tube hole. You might be lucky and have it back out with a left hand bit.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:05 am

Bulletcub92 wrote:
ntrenn wrote:Fresh plugs...autolite 3116 NOT champion. Then work from there.
We fought the 63 to start for YEARS...then Pop converted to 12v. Hard starts are a thing of the past.
As a 6v system...the tractor ate everything electrical....starting with a battery every year or two. Plugs every year. Never would start when it was cold outside. As a 12v tractor...it starts in 15 below and uses plugs once a decade....and starts every spring like it was started yesterday....

Been really wanting to convert to 12. But not sure if I could figure all that out on my own

Cubs start fine and run fine on 6 volts.

You have other issues that need to be addressed before you take on a project like converting to 12 volts.

Once you get your cab back together and it starting I would give is a complete turn up and time with a timing light and adjust the carb/governor linkage.

Since it ran last summer is maybe gas related. The alcohol in the gas is a problem for the carbs especially after sitting. It is good practice to turn off the fuel and run the carb dry especially when storing it. I also use gas stabilizer all year round. I put it in before I take the gas cans to the station to fill. This helps a bit with the alcohol

There are some members that rebuild carbs that may be able to get the main jet out
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am

I had a similar problem. Turned out that the air cleaner oil bath was filled with water. Dumped the water filled it to the full line with fresh oil and the tractor started right up. I don't understand how the water got in because it has one of those round caps on the top of the air cleaner.

Anyway, that worked for me.

If something works and then all of a sudden won't (even if it is a period of several months) I look for a small cause, not a big one.

Unless it's electrical and then I'm lost.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

CSA_CUB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29526
eBay ID: SC_Elvis
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
194 Farmall Plow
1984 JD 320 Garden Tractor
1952 BF Avery/MM model V
C-16 Middle Buster
C-22 Sickle Mower
172 Planter w/ Duplex Hopper
Cole Duplex Planter
F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
Super A
100 Manure Spreader
F-17 Middle Buster
184 planter (2)
Fast Hitch 2 way plow

Postby CSA_CUB » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:48 am

I fought with mine last Saturday after sitting for 3 months. Filed the points and realized the coil was leaking so replaced it. Fired tight up and has been ever sense without issues this past week.
Patrick Elvis
CSA_CUB
Conway, SC
:tractor:

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:09 pm

I grew up with the cub....maybe it was just ours...but i know pops bought more batteries for a 49 ford than he ever owned....batteries of the day only gave a 6 month warranty for ag use so the cub got the 49 ford batteries. Pop has been gone 20+ years and i have changed only plugs and coil since he's been gone. Have not touched the points or condenser. Tractor mows 3-4 acres a week in the spring and has been my primary mowing machine for 10+ years.
At the risk of getting yelled at....if it wont hit on starting fluid...you have an ignition problem. Gas fouled plugs are always a good place to start.

12v conversion is easier than you might think...generator, coil, regulator, bulbs, and battery...dead 6v battery is a really good excuse to jump in....and its all bolt on....

Bulletcub92
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47523

Postby Bulletcub92 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:30 pm

I appreciate all these replys! Very very helpful! I will definitely be looking into everything mentioned, and may hold off on converting to 12. Hopefully I get this figured out and back running strong! Will update soon!

Return to “Farmall Cub”