This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cultivating tractors making a comeback?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
seamajor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27569
Tractors Owned: 1975 140
1975 Cub
1997 John Deere 5300
2019 John Deere 1025r

cultivating tractors making a comeback?

Postby seamajor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Have you seen the Tuftbilt and the Oggun tractors? It looks like they are built like the old Allis-Chalmers G model. Does this mean there is a market for cultivating tractors again? Should Case IH bring back the one-row cultivating tractor?
Not a mechanic but enjoying seat time with my son.
1975 140
1975 Cub
1997 John Deere 5300
2019 John Deere 1025r
Follow us on YouTube at BrutonTractors

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cultivating tractors making a comeback?

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:15 pm

weeds are becoming resistant to pesticides. One thing they can't get a resistance to, is steel! Also, increasing organic production, calls for more mechanical weed control.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:34 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:weeds are becoming resistant to pesticides

Herbicides I think Ed meant.

Also those herbicides aren't cheap and who can apply them is getting stricter as well.

tim

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 am

Jim

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 pm

seamajor wrote:Should Case IH bring back the one-row cultivating tractor?
Not going to happen unless there is a significant sized market with the potential of recovering their manufacturing start up costs and make a profit.

Case/IH/New Holland manufactures products and sells on most continents. I'm sure they continually research the market potential.

Some time back there an individual on this site researching the Farmall Cub to build a tractor for Orient. I think the primary use for the tractor was rice paddies.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:43 pm

brewzalot wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:weeds are becoming resistant to pesticides

Herbicides I think Ed meant.

Also those herbicides aren't cheap and who can apply them is getting stricter as well.

tim

The big issue is weed resistance There will be no mass exodus away from chemical weed control, unless resistance issues get completely out of hand. (With the issues with glyphosate resistant pigweed around here, I have commented to several friends at different times that we may have to learn how to set a rolling cultivator again!) If we do see more mechanical cultivation taking place, it will be with equipment significantly larger than a Cub sized tractor.

I expect the small cultivating tractors on the market are targeted mainly towards small organic farms and other specialty markets.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Not sure what the niche market is for a " new" Cub type.
Drilling seed for soil conservation was getting popular ,along with dense cover crops to choke weeds and serve as green manure.
Increase limits of an f.e.l. on a Cub and tack on enough mass to take a good 3- point attachment and create better versatility ,but .....safety standards, emissions, ( though standards for low horsepower are not as stringent) and popularity of four wheel drive , would put a new model up against a lot of competition in a market where a price point means limits on what the buyer gets.

Outside of that niche....a thirty horse all around will cover a lot of bases. For how much more money?

seamajor
5+ Years
5+ Years
1975 Cub
1997 John Deere 5300
2019 John Deere 1025r

Postby seamajor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 pm

I think large-scale cultivation may never make a comeback because crop yields would be significantly lower to make room for the cultivator. But, I see an emerging market for homesteaders, small-scale produce farmers (like those subscription produce boxes you hear about). As equipment gets older, folks who want reliability might be willing to fork out a little more money for something that's not 50 years old.

If Case/IH could produce a new offset that had enough clearance to cultivate, handle a loader and modern implements such as a tiller at a reasonable price, I think it could compete with some of the modern sub-compacts. I don't know much about regulations, but you can't really beat a cub or 140 if you're tending vegetables. I'd love to see a modern version of those tractors back on the market.
1975 140
1975 Cub
1997 John Deere 5300
2019 John Deere 1025r

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:57 am

seamajor wrote:I think large-scale cultivation may never make a comeback because crop yields would be significantly lower to make room for the cultivator. But, I see an emerging market for homesteaders, small-scale produce farmers (like those subscription produce boxes you hear about). As equipment gets older, folks who want reliability might be willing to fork out a little more money for something that's not 50 years old.

If Case/IH could produce a new offset that had enough clearance to cultivate, handle a loader and modern implements such as a tiller at a reasonable price, I think it could compete with some of the modern sub-compacts. I don't know much about regulations, but you can't really beat a cub or 140 if you're tending vegetables. I'd love to see a modern version of those tractors back on the market.

Cultivating does not automatically equal lower yields, it all depends on the crop and the production practices. With the right tires you can get down a pretty narrow row. Pesticides won't go away either, but until more/better chemistries of herbicides come on the market that will kill them, (Roundup Read made the chemical companies lazy) where resistant weed pressures are high I think we might see more row crop cultivation than we have in the past until they can get the weeds under control.
[img]http://landoll.com/content/files/8413/8194/9164/2000RowCropCultivator-Photo-Gallery3_1000x667px.jpg
[/img]

The last offset caseIH built was the 265, which ended production in the 90s. I don't think they sold many. There are enough different versions of three point hitch cultivators out there to satisfy anyone needing a small outfit for veggies and the like. Used two row rolling cultivators are cheap, easy to cut down to one row or whatever, parts for them are plentiful, etc. One can buy a fancy compact tractor with 4wd, heat and air, etc. and adapt a cultivator to it.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Skinpine
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Skinpine » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Many small vegetable farms, especially organic, still use single row cultivators. There are just so many old Cubs, Super A's, 140's, AC-G, 264 etc. out there that there is still not a lot of room in the market for new ones.

There is no comparison between what you can do with a cultivision tractor with belly cultivators and a 3pt. cultivator. In small vegetables, a 3pt. cultivator is close to useless without elaborate modification and a very skilled operator. Hillers, sweeps, shovels, and rolling baskets are just plain easier to use when you can see what you are doing. A cub with cultivators is a fine machine for home gardens and small vegetable operations. It is light, agile, and most vegetable crops can be maintained weed free with proper use of the correct cultivator equipment. Worn out sweeps and shovels on rusted up feet that can't be adjusted as seen in some youtube videos are not the correct equipment.

Most commercial vegetable operations use plastic and drip irrigation and have little need for a cultivating tractor. Others use chemical weed control. Neither is likely to change in the near future. The organic market drives demand for cultivation.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:19 pm

It looks like you can throw one more in with Tuff Bilt and Oggun, the Tilmor tractor:

https://www.tilmor.com/en-us/products/33/tilmor-tractor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 pm

T-Mo wrote:It looks like you can throw one more in with Tuff Bilt and Oggun, the Tilmor tractor:

https://www.tilmor.com/en-us/products/33/tilmor-tractor

I'm going to be down that way Tuesday. If time allows I will stop in to have a look at the real deal.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

seamajor
5+ Years
5+ Years
1975 Cub
1997 John Deere 5300
2019 John Deere 1025r

Postby seamajor » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:51 pm

It's interesting to me that these are all copies or variants of the Allis-Chalmers G. Seem to me that Allis never had that kind of market share. I don't know for sure, but around my area all you ever see are Farmall/International on the hobby and produce farms.
1975 140
1975 Cub
1997 John Deere 5300
2019 John Deere 1025r

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 am

As I was browsing around on the Tilmor website, I see the designer of the tractor is Lydell Steiner. I also see on a couple of videos a Steiner tractor and a Ventrac tractor. Also he alludes to the Ventrac as though they're the manufacturers of that tractor. I have to do more research, but it's interesting. They also make an adapter to add some of their implements to Farmall tractors.

https://www.tilmor.com/en-us/products/8 ... it-farmall

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:14 am

T-Mo wrote:As I was browsing around on the Tilmor website, I see the designer of the tractor is Lydell Steiner. I also see on a couple of videos a Steiner tractor and a Ventrac tractor. Also he alludes to the Ventrac as though they're the manufacturers of that tractor. I have to do more research, but it's interesting. They also make an adapter to add some of their implements to Farmall tractors.

https://www.tilmor.com/en-us/products/8 ... it-farmall

Yes, they make the Ventrac. As the saying goes, Ventracs are "ten feet tall and bulletproof." Gotta go over there Tuesday.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Farmall Cub”