GASKETS AND SEALER

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
liquid plumber
Zip Code: 55014
eBay ID: blubberhunter2
Tractors Owned: 1947 mccormic farmall cub
1965 farmall cub w/ fasthitch and wagner loader
1974 cub cadet
howard rotavater and gear reducer
fasthitch plow
fasthitch disc
fasthitch snowblower ( in the works)
woods 42 mower
Richmond planter w/ fertilizer attachment.
cultivator.

GASKETS AND SEALER

Postby liquid plumber » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Good evening to all
liquid plumber here with a forum question that may bring up many posts so here it goes.
if we install the proper gasket to a properly cleaned surface why in the world would gasket sealer be need also
just would like to hear different opinouns. as for myself the idea of peeling off a old gasket that was glued on with sealer is usually not a whole lot of fun .
thanks Chris :big afro:
Christopher Milow
,getting to Know Jesus
better as my Friend every day
I thank him for his love and grace
:thanx:

Frozenstate
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Re: GASKETS AND SEALER

Postby Frozenstate » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Gasket sealer is to help with imperfections in parts matching. I think it was Permatex ran a stock car with no gaskets. They had to have exacting tolerances to do this. The gasket and gasket sealer do this. You are right, most gaskets probably don't need sealer. But the imperfections from age and repairs on these old tractors make it a safe bet to use a little gasket sealer.
One trick I was taught with old cork valve cover gaskets was to glue the gasket to the valve cover with 3m weatherstrip adhesive. Let it dry and put the valve cover on, it held the gasket on perfect.
I generally only use Permatex aircraft gasket sealer, well stirred before use and applied very thinly on each surface.
It is just a little insurance against leaks and having a do over. Again, in the perfect world it would probably not be needed.
I have had very limited success with any silicone gasket sealer and don't use it unless it is specified for the job in doing.
And yes, it sure is a pain cleaning parts that have been together with sealer, but most jobs stay together for a long time and gasket sealer can sure make for a good leak free gasket. If it is something with good smooth surfaces that will probably be apart soon for maintenance or repair, you may want to go ahead without gasket sealer.
Gasket sealer can also help cover up poor assembly, such as uneven or over/under torquing also.
I use Permatex aircraft on pretty much every gasket except the head. If the head us old and not machined before assembly, or a used head gasket I use the copper aresol spray gasket sealer. Cant recommend a used head gasket, but I have had to use one now and then and they held. But that was only on low compression air cooled motors.

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby brewzalot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 pm

liquid plumber wrote:if we install the proper gasket to a properly cleaned surface why in the world would gasket sealer be need also

I was taught to use one or the other not both. You can put sealer on one side of a gasket which will help keep it in place, and will make it easier to take apart. You then only need to concentrate on getting the unsealed side apart cleanly.

With the current high end sealants I think its a waist of money to use both. The only time a gasket is really needed is when its thickness is critical to the application. My first Cub restore I bought or made all new gaskets and some of those did leak at first, but eventually sealed up . My next Cub I will use sealant only wherever I can. A wire wheel in a ra grinder or drill takes it off real quick if needed.

JMHO-
tim
Last edited by brewzalot on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liquid plumber
Zip Code: 55014
eBay ID: blubberhunter2
Tractors Owned: 1947 mccormic farmall cub
1965 farmall cub w/ fasthitch and wagner loader
1974 cub cadet
howard rotavater and gear reducer
fasthitch plow
fasthitch disc
fasthitch snowblower ( in the works)
woods 42 mower
Richmond planter w/ fertilizer attachment.
cultivator.

Postby liquid plumber » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 pm

great so far thanks guys
Christopher Milow
,getting to Know Jesus
better as my Friend every day
I thank him for his love and grace
:thanx:

Indy4570
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
57 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP
various other GTs
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Indy4570 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:10 am

we were taught to only use grease on a gasket back in the day, it sealed up paper gaskets and made for easy removal of parts. my grandfather used to use butter boxes because the cardboard was waxed. he made a lot of gaskets when they were small enough to use the box. I have made many a gasket with gasket paper and a ball peen hammer. I still use grease on many applications. I still use the back cardboard from a tablet at times and a bench grinder will clean up rough edges and make for a nice smooth gasket. I bought a set of leather punches at harbor freight. They make great gasket holes as well as wads for cap n ball revolvers from old felt hats and from fiber board, the larger wads for BP shotguns.
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )