This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gord's 1952/53 Super A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Gord's 1952/53 Super A

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:11 am

Ok, well this one has a Carter UT carb. Idle is off and the engine only runs solid when the choke is fully engaged as in choke plate in the vertical position. Not sure how to se the idle or what the idle rpm's should be. Help would be appreciated. I know that this is a fuel issue only. When the carb was split, float appeared to work properly, the bowl is clean, blew out all of the orifices and fuel/carb cleaner flows freely. Not sure about needle. May have to take it all apart but would prefer not to at this stage if possible. Thoughts, ideas, comments are all welcome. Now that the H is pretty well ready to rock, gotta get the Super A up and running so she can have excercise before she is put up for the winter.

Second area... Idled (high with the choke fully closed - vertical position) and after 10-15 minutes we had a lot of coolant spraying out of the overflow tube and out of the rad cap. This sounds like a blockage to me.. am I on the right track? Again thoughts, ideas, comments are all welcome.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

buster38
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27572

Re: Gord's 1952/53 Super A

Postby buster38 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:16 pm

I had a similar issue with only running with choke pulled. Culprit was leaking manifold gasket letting too much air in and leaning the mixture. Check manifold and carb gaskets. One test is to spray starting fluid around carb and manifold and see if engine speed changes. Not recommended for a HOT engine.
51 cub
49? cub
51 8N
53 JD 40s
02 Kioti LB1914

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51646

Postby RustyFarmall » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:11 am

The coolant spitting out problem might be as simple as an over-filled radiator, although if it is spewing from around the radiator cap it might be time to replace that cap or at least make a new gasket for it.

On the fuel issue, did you check that there is sufficient fuel flow TO the carburetor?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Carb. Set the idle and main jet screws out about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turn. This will get the tractor running. After warm up adjust the screws.

Low idle 425 rpm. No load high: 1875 rpm.

((((((Second area... Idled (high with the choke fully closed - vertical position) and after 10-15 minutes we had a lot of coolant spraying out of the overflow tube and out of the rad cap. This sounds like a blockage to me.. am I on the right track?)))))Maybe. Tractor is not supposed to be able to run with the choke fully closed.

1) Rebuild or service the carb. It's as simple as the Cub's.
2) Ignition timing - static time - same procedure as Cub.
3) Remove the lower water manifold and use the tool to clean out the crub between and behind the cylinders and radiator base.

Edit. Get behind and around the #4 cylinder, REALLY GOOD. Crud has tendency to build up bad in this area. The crud build up could be the cause of the overheating problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”