Yesterday I brought Rambo to the shop for a couple jobs I intended to do. First was the radiator. Rambo had made a mess on the floor where I parked him last fall... coolant was everywhere. I got the radiator from the pile of parts known as either #10 or "Pyle".
Condition unknown, so I decided to test it. Here's how I did it.
The test base is a simple particle board base bolted on over 3 shop cut gaskets to provide clearance for the tube ends.
I applied just a few ounces of air pressure using this rig made from odd ends lsying around the shop. The regulator is in addition to the one feeding the air hose, and the double gauges are further assurance that the pressure doesn't get too high. It's enough to turn up the regulator just enough to see the gauge move.
A windex bottle filled with soapy water is a handy leak detector, tire mounting lubricator, carburetor leak detector and is kept handy. I found and repaired only one very small leak.
Here's the payoff... I added a full gallon of coolant to Rambo's radiator, and today it's dry as a bone so I may not change the radiator at all!
Now I can concentrate on rebuilding the TC block and adding it while the hood is off.
Last edited by George Willer
on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.