This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How To Make a Steel Gas Line For Your Cub

All fuel related How To’s can be found here
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

How To Make a Steel Gas Line For Your Cub

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:11 am

When I asked George originally for this How To, I think one of two things occured :oops: :roll: :oops: . Either George sent it to me as a PM and I simply cut and pasted into this thread, or somehow in the transferral of the post, stuff got lost. Either way, it has now been corrected and a new post under George's ID is now connected to the Cub Book of Knowledge.

This thread is now unlocked and released into the general archives.

[edited by Rudi 09 March 2008 for content]

Rudi ... you asked fot it. You can add it to the how-to files, but maybe wait if see if anyone can suggest anything to make it any clearer than mud?

----------------

This is how I make fuel lines...

The lines are interchangeable among my Cubs because I'm careful to have all the sediment bowls tightened so the outlets are all pointing the same way -- at right angles to the center line of the tractor (THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR THIS SYSTEM TO WORK). If you do the same you should be able to make a new line that fits the same way. This also assumes the sediment bowl and IH carburetor have the original threads.

This won't work for tractors with underslung exhaust without some modification.

The line is made from a 20" length of 5/16" brake line available from NAPA with the right fittings already on it. The fittings are the correct 1/2" x 20 thread. The flared ends are cut off and ferrules are used instead. The ferrules will have to be bought separately.

Here's one of my lines with the measurements that work for me:

I recommend making the first bend just a little long and trimming it to the final length. Note the measurement is from the center line of the vertical run to the end. The vertical run is measured between the center lines of the two horizontal runs. The final horizontal run is simply measured from the center line of the vertical to the final end cut.

It may be helpful to note any difference between expected length of the first run and the final result -- so the layout of the second bend can be adjusted accordingly, if necessary.

There are several ways to make the bends. I'll only explain the one I use. Since I don't have a proper bender of the right size I use an old pulley made for round leather belts that makes a 2" radius bend.

I clamp the pulley in the bench vise so I have both hands free. The desired length is measured on the line and the radius is deducted and the spot marked. By placing the mark on the pulley at the point of tangency, the right length will result when the pipe is bent 90 degrees.

Here's where you have to be really careful ... make the second bend in the right direction!

George Willer
http://gwill.net

If you have a task to do
and mean to do it, really,
never let it be by halves,
but do it fully-freely... Clarence Topel
Last edited by Rudi on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Fuel”