This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Main Jet Thread Repair

All fuel related How To’s can be found here
clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck
Circle of Safety: Y

Main Jet Thread Repair

Postby clodhopper » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:07 pm

This is the heli coil I used to repair the stripped main jet hole in my carb. Its 1/4-28 thread. This repair is easier if you buy a complete kit. I picked up one on ebay for $22.00. The coils that came in the kit were just the right length for this repair. They are the same length as the threads on the jet.
carbjet1.jpg

Here, I measure the coil to see what size the outer hole must be to allow the coil to pass through.
carbjet2.jpg

Drilling the outer hole. I used a 3/8 bit. Be careful not to drill beyond the fuel bowl!!
carbjet3.jpg

Here, I am tapping the hole to accept the coil. I didnt have to drill the carb body out because it is soft metal, and it was CLEANLY stripped of threads. You will also note the finish nail in the top of the carb. I used it as a depth gauge reference for the tap.The tap, while it says 1/4-28 is not a standard tap, but a STI (Standard Thread Insert) Tap. It is made specifically for the coil size OD.
carbjet4.jpg

And here I an installing the coil with the installation tool that came in the kit. Once I got it through the outer hole, I dripped 1 drop of red loctite on the coil and screwed it in place. The tricky part is removing the tang after install. I used an old drill bit just smaller than the id of the coil, dropped in the hole backward,and popped it off with a small hammer. I tapped it on the workbench and it fell out (finally). Once done, let the loctite set overnight, and just reassemble the carb and your set!
carbjet5.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Fuel”