1st cub

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
JoeyO
Zip Code: 27587

1st cub

Postby JoeyO » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:45 pm

Hi all. This is my 1st tractor and I can’t wait to get it going. The service manual is ordered. I have to fix a rear tire then off with the hood. The engine is seized from being outside with the exhaust letting rain in. Since I don’t know it’s history, I think I’ll pull the head and see what I’ve got. I’ve read many of your posts on seized engines so thanks for passing on your experience. Barring some catastrophic problem, she’ll be shiny red one day. Oh, the mccormick emblem fell off in the 10 days it’s been sitting here. Hope nothing else just falls off!
A10D7AE9-6430-4208-BBD6-FED7B54E644F.jpeg
69B94337-1292-417F-8B77-63779B864B66.jpeg
Attachments
8DE1F00E-261C-4D60-ACE0-7F35F6CD8E68.jpeg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1st cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:52 pm

Joey, welcome to the forum. Let us know if we can be of any help.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:05 pm

I wouldn't pull the head, unless it's absolutely necessary. You could end up in a worse predicament than you are now. Try the different techniques through the spark plugs holes first.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

JoeyO

Postby JoeyO » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:25 pm

Ok Don I’ll heed your advice oil it down and rock it first. Thanks!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:32 pm

HOWDEE from your neighbor here in Chapel Hill!! :hattip:
Very nice tractor! And with a fast hitch, too!
That happens to be my favorite model... I love the grill & emblems... I have 6 cubs & 2 of them are '55's one is '56 and one is a '58.

If you haven't already found it, the HOW TO section has a lot of good stuff in it. And you've probably already seen this post:

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765

Let me know if I can help you out with anything.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:49 pm

Oh, and don't lose your little "McCormick" emblem...those puppies are $50+ each! Be careful to not break the pins on the back, if they aren't already broken...they are fragile.

FYI...there are new replacement gas caps available for FREE due to a safety recall of the original caps. It's very simple to get one...simply fill out this form and send it in. They'll mail it to you.
https://www.ihgascap.com/
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:10 pm

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.
The Cub service manual is more for removing parts of the Cub for repair.

Below is the 1955 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1, and the index begins on page 79.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a your style of Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.
They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.

You can find the year of the Cub using the tractor serial number.
Page 2 in the manual shows where the tractor serial number is.
It is stamped in the serial number plate.
If you find the number, there is info at the top of the page to find the year of the Cub at Cub Info, then go to Serial Number Lookup.

The Touch Control fluid mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control, was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can search for info in posts that have been made.

Page 29 is gone from the manual, so there is no info about checking and changing the final drive oils, steering gear oil, and other things.
Below are 2 pages from the manual before it, the missing info is on them, beginning at number 24.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-19.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-20.jpg

The Touch Control hydraulic system, and the Fast Hitch are extras.

Is see on the Fast Hitch, the Diagonal Link is not installed right. It is upside down.
The manual shows pics of it on pages 18 and 19.
To change it, remove the cotter key at the lower right end of the link, and turn it 1/2 turn, the upper left pin should turn, then put the lower right end on again.
Also, the lower left end of the round bar is upside down. Look at the pic in the manual, and you can see it.
The ends on the round bar screw on or off, so if you remove the pin, the end will turn 1/2 turn on the bar.
Good luck. :)

JoeyO

Postby JoeyO » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:28 am

Bob McCarty wrote:Joey, welcome to the forum. Let us know if we can be of any help.

Thanks Bob!

JoeyO

Postby JoeyO » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:30 am

Dale Finch wrote:HOWDEE from your neighbor here in Chapel Hill!! :hattip:
Very nice tractor! And with a fast hitch, too!
That happens to be my favorite model... I love the grill & emblems... I have 6 cubs & 2 of them are '55's one is '56 and one is a '58.

If you haven't already found it, the HOW TO section has a lot of good stuff in it. And you've probably already seen this post:

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765

Let me know if I can help you out with anything.

Wow you are close. I also love the grill on the 56. I am proud of all the emblems except the broken one that fell off. Thanks Dale!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:46 am

There are quite a few of us NC-ers on the forum!

Not sure if you are familiar withe this group, but NC has 3 chapters: 37, 42, & 43!
https://nationalihcollectors.com/
I belong to 37 & 42.
http://www.ihcc37.com/
http://ihcollectorsnc42.com/
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

JoeyO

Postby JoeyO » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.
The Cub service manual is more for removing parts of the Cub for repair.

Below is the 1955 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1, and the index begins on page 79.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a your style of Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.
They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.

You can find the year of the Cub using the tractor serial number.
Page 2 in the manual shows where the tractor serial number is.
It is stamped in the serial number plate.
If you find the number, there is info at the top of the page to find the year of the Cub at Cub Info, then go to Serial Number Lookup.

The Touch Control fluid mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control, was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can search for info in posts that have been made.

Page 29 is gone from the manual, so there is no info about checking and changing the final drive oils, steering gear oil, and other things.
Below are 2 pages from the manual before it, the missing info is on them, beginning at number 24.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-19.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-20.jpg

The Touch Control hydraulic system, and the Fast Hitch are extras.

Is see on the Fast Hitch, the Diagonal Link is not installed right. It is upside down.
The manual shows pics of it on pages 18 and 19.
To change it, remove the cotter key at the lower right end of the link, and turn it 1/2 turn, the upper left pin should turn, then put the lower right end on again.
Also, the lower left end of the round bar is upside down. Look at the pic in the manual, and you can see it.
The ends on the round bar screw on or off, so if you remove the pin, the end will turn 1/2 turn on the bar.
Good luck. :)

Thanks Glen! I've been wondering why the hitch wasn't level. Now I know!

Tired_Iron
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 53147
Tractors Owned: 1937 Farmall F-12
1939 Farmall F-14
1945 Farmall B
1947 Farmall H
1955 Farmall 400 /w 33A Loader
Simplicity 7112H
Simplicity Sunstar 18

Postby Tired_Iron » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:57 am

Welcome to the Forum!
Dan K

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy."

Proud Member, IHCC, Wisconsin Chapter #4

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:26 am

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:59 am

As usual, I'm late to the "welcoming" party. Welcome to the Forum, Joey! Congratulations on your 1st Cub. I DO like those 1955 11-bar grilles. Nice!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Now that you’ve logged your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. See, you should have waited and downloaded them for free! There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

As Dale pointed out, there are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11 Also nice that she lives in your area.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Thanks for posting pics!

Remember:
  • Pictures are limited to 500 KB file size. Use an image reducer app or program to downsize pics.
  • When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
  • Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
  • When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:09 am

Welcome to the forum Joey.
Good luck with your project and Enjoy Your Ride.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Return to “Introduce Yourself”