This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

just got started

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Bighead
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12446

just got started

Postby Bighead » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi All,
My name is jerome nicknamed Bighead as a boy growing up,I live in lower NY with my wife and have two sons.
I have had a few different types of tractors a couple ford 8n's,ford 1110 with loaders now I own some power kings
one 2414 1614(with loader) and a jim dandy(mow with) all with duel trans.I plow snow with my 2414 it has rear weights
and chains but I was always keeping a eye out for front weights and about three weeks ago spotted a pair on
craigslist.As I was talking to the gentleman he spoke about a Farmall Cub he was restoring sounded pretty cool,so
got on line and checked them out.I liked the way they sat up high and the off-set it had and the way you can mid-
mount the blade to do grading work.I started looking around and rememberd thinking I seen one in a friends
garage I asked him about it turned out to be a 48 with a seized motor his dad bought it from the 1st owner and
left it outside and let the rain in.I took a close look at it although a good repair the blocked was cracked behind the
steering box area also the tires are in poor condition.The good,the sheet metal although rusty is very nice has
hydraulics a snow/dirt plow sickle mower draw bar and a very nice set of chains,he also brought a new carb
before he knew it was seized asking price is 750.00.A couple days later got word that a local guy was selling one right
down the road turned out to be a 57 pretty nice shape with a mid mount mott mower and just part of the snow/dirt
plow and it's got a new rad,won't stay running without the choke half way out,has good oil pressure.I ended up buying
that tractor for 800.00.I'm still thinking of buying the 48 for the new carb and oh yeah the front and rear wheel weights
I do have a couple questions what makes the 48 and the 57 plow hardware so different and will the 48 parts be the same
as the 57 for the most part?Thank you all in advance I've been reading threads here for the last few days and the info helped me greatly and was very enjoyable reading thanks again Jerome

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: just got started

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:51 pm

welcome Jerome. T running with the choke out is most likely a plugged jet. The jet is the brass hex on the side of the carb bowl. Push a soft copper wire through it from the end and the blow out with air and you most probably be fixed. Of course if you have a dirty or rusted tank it will plug up again. Because you have had other tractors I am not going into the detail I might with a complete novice. One word of caution, don't use a welding tip cleaner it will file the hole larger.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Jerome:

Well, welcome to the forum and to the Cub family. Congrats on the great deal on the 57.. at $800.00 with a Cub54 or 54A that is a great price. Almost a steal :lol: We had a thread on the main forum about what a non-running Cub is worth, and I would pay $400.00 to $500.00 give or take for a bare Cub with a stuck engine. Gonna be a little pricey to fix it.. so acquistion price has to reflect that. However, with the Cub Grading and Leveling Blade, the wheel weights, new carb (that's almost $200.00 right there), Cub-22 sickle mower, drawbar and chains.. that makes the $750.00 for that Cub more than fair. Quick buy it if you can before someone else does if you are leaning in that direction.

Now the answer to many of your questions. lies in the Welcome Wagon and it's contents. You can find the Welcome Wagon in the text below. Do read it as there is tons of information here on the site between the different forums and the Manual Server etc., .

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Bighead wrote:I do have a couple questions what makes the 48 and the 57 plow hardware so different and will the 48 parts be the same
as the 57 for the most part?

Well, the answer to that is yes and no. There are some parts that are interchangeable and some that are not. However, you are fortunate in that you have 2 I assume complete versions which many of us are actually trying to acquire. I have a 2 Cub-54's and I am trying to upgrade one of them to a Cub-54A. I have some parts for the Cub Grader Blade or the McCormick Deering Leveling and Grader Blade which is the original. You already will have both. Now that is pretty lucky. If you check out this link : CBI-1A - Revision 12 - Miscellaneous - Blades you can see all the parts for the 3 different versions.

Bighead wrote:turned out to be a 57 pretty nice shape with a mid mount mott mower and just part of the snow/dirt
plow and it's got a new rad,won't stay running without the choke half way out,has good oil pressure.I ended up buying
that tractor for 800.00.

Since the Cub won't stay running, it is definitely a fuel issue. There are a number of threads on that very subject. Most commonly the problem will be dirt or crud in the fuel system somewhere.. usually in the tank which migrates to the sediment bowl, which then migrates to the carb inlet screen, into the bowl and then into the jets. Clean the fuel system completely, ensure that there is no crud/dirt/gunk etc., in the tank, make sure the sediment bowl filter is clean and the bowl is clean. Check the main jet - remember to check both orifices.. the larger horizontal apperture in the side of the jet and the very tiny longitudinal hole in the end of the jet. Run a single strand of bare twisted pair (telephone wire) through the tiny hole, you will see it emerge into the horizontal apperture. The use of a cheap aerosol carb cleaner has efficacious results during this procedure :!: :roll: :wink: :D Reassemble the fuel system and give it a shot.. should work.

Hope that answers some and do read the Welcome Wagon. You will be glad you did.

Oh, I notice Bill got in whilst I was typing.. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Welcome, Jerome, to a great forum with fantastic people and more info than you can possibly imagine. Enjoy. :D :D

I know you will have fun working on your Cub.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:34 am

Welcome to the forum Jerome, in my prejudiced opinion you have fond what is probably the best site on the internet. People on here will help you with anything you need if they can, whether it is tractor related or not, and there is very seldom any bickering or squabbling here. We may disagree on oil brands, etc. but we don't fight over it or over personality.

One note, there are many of us who could be called BigHead, but it has nothing to do with the physical size of our heads. :lol: Note, I said us.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Welcome to the Forum Jerome!! Looks like the guys have you squared away with info. Make yourself at home!!

Bighead
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12446

Postby Bighead » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi All,
Thank you all for help given,and sense of humor.I took my carb apart today and gonna call TM tractor and order
some parts and a service manual.The carb was filled with a rusty flim,the cub sat for about 6yrs the guy said
so the tank must be a bit rusty inside.I cleaned the tank on my jim dandy by putting nuts and bolts and diet coke
in it and shaking it a couple times a day for about a week seemed to work well,have'nt had any problems as of yet.
I decided to buy the 48 cub too turns out my friend says he's got paper work for it origanal recipts and manuals.
Seems all my parts machines always turn into fixer uppers.thanks again all for the tips and replys Jerome

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Jerome,

Welcome. Enjoy the ride.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 am

Jerome, Welcome to the forum, hope you get the 48 unstuck and running. You always need more then one cub so you don't have to switch attachments.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:21 am

Jerome- Welcome to the forum!! You'll like it here.
Trent McPeak

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:06 am

Jerome,
Welcome to the forum! It appears you have been "twice bitten" but not shy! It took me a year to get the second one, you dont' mess around! Congratulations on your purchases and don't be afraid to ask if you need any help.
Best of luck,
David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”