This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just got my first Cub '1959'

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just got my first Cub '1959'

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:30 am

oldfarm wrote:Now, nothing seems to be in a bind. I don't have strength to overcome the hydraulic cylinder. of course when I get it running the lift should work some, maybe? Is there a check valve I could easily unhook?

Not sure what you are trying to do. Manually rotate the Touch-Control rockshaft out of the way to check the oil level? If so, DON'T. You should not be able to rotate the rockshaft that way. Leave the hydraulics alone until you have the engine running.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

oldfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30116

Postby oldfarm » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:57 am

I need the spring lift arm on the left side moved, it is covering he oil filler and dip stick. I think it would come up and out of the way with the cylinder extented. can't move it , seems pressure has the system locked. How may I overcome this pressure, checkvalve or is it air trapped? thanks,

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Is the front universal mounting frame and pressure rod in your way? If so, remove it and any attached implement to get it out of your way while doing engine work. If it is binding, loosen the setscrew at "F" on the pressure rod to relieve the linkage. Any implement will drop when the setscrew is loosened. The Touch-Control rockshaft is held in place by checkvalves. Leave it where it is.

oldfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldfarm » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks, I thought the cylinder might be freed to move without power. I wonder if all cub's would have this problem with the spring lift arm in the way of oil filler? I will prop up the frame and remove the arm pins. The picture illustration was helpful also, I haven't any books with the tractor.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:13 pm

oldfarm, Welcome to the best forum to find all the information you need for a cub.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Noah:

Glad to see you jump in. Did you take the spring lift arms off yet :?: Follow Jim's directions. That is what I tried to explain in the last email with the pic from the Owner's Manual for the Cultivators.

oldfarm wrote: I haven't any books with the tractor.

To solve the manual problem, just follow the links below.. it will take you to the manual server.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Do take Ron up on the Luebke Christmas CubFest, you will be glad you did. There are a few others down your neck of the woods, and the guys will be more than happy and capable to help you get that family heirloom up and running like it should.

Glad you popped in.. do post often :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

oldfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldfarm » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks to all for your help. The manuals online are great. Yes i understand about the spring arm. But guess what!! after a new battary, cables, plug wires, sparks plugs, carb. kit, and filters the old thing cranked up after a couple times, smoked some spitter and spat alittle, then purred like a kitten, and the lift came right up, I'm so excited. After sitting for almost 8 years. What a machine. Now, I need more help. How hot does this engine run? The head and plugs got HOT. The coolant was almost boiling after about 10 minutes. Now the radiator has some leaks under pressure and coolant is returning to the top. Some of the fins has been solderd. Do you think this a major problem? Thanks

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:27 pm

oldfarm wrote:Now, I need more help. How hot does this engine run? The head and plugs got HOT. The coolant was almost boiling after about 10 minutes. Now the radiator has some leaks under pressure and coolant is returning to the top. Some of the fins has been solderd. Do you think this a major problem? Thanks

If you post these questions on the main forum you will get plenty of help as more people will see them.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Introduce Yourself”