This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub owner and member

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
guaira
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98296
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

New Cub owner and member

Postby guaira » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:42 am

Hi all,

I just got my Cub today and could not be happier! What started as a search on craigslist for any used tractor that I could buy for a reasonable price (I was thinking about those ugly little "modern" tractors), ended up with a beautiful 1948 Cub in my garage. This is my first antique tractor, and now I can see why folks collect them and own several! Of course, I am preaching to the choir here... all I can say is that whatever bug y'all have, is really contagious! :lol:

The reason I got the Cub is that I have about 3/4 of an acre that I want to start working on. First I am planning to work the ground lightly (maybe with a harrow rake), so that I can seed it with native wild flowers and maybe some clover (the annual type, crimson most likely). My intention is to get some nutrients into the ground... and have it look great, of course! If that works as intended, I might start planting something more interesting the next year... need to determine what though. I know a couple of folks that own farms around here, so I will ask them. I might also post that question in this forum when the time comes.

Anyway, I have my very first question for you all: what can I do to keep the Cub secure? I do not want an ugly chain around it... just a quick/smart way to ensure that nobody can start it (including kids), or steal it. Something I can remove that is easy to re-attach would do.

Thanks in advance for this question, and for the several other that I am sure I will have later...

Cheers,

--Felipe
Snohomish, WA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub owner and member

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 am

Welcome aboard. I remove the coil wire when i am at tractor shows. Along with turning off the gas of course

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:16 am

Felipe,

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on obtaining your first Cub....

Removing the coil wire is a popular way to disable, some install switches.

Good luck,
David

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:35 am

Felipe:

Congrats :applause: on acquiring your very 1st Cub. I am sure it probably won't be your last :D As you surmised, Cubitis is kinda addictive :lol:

A battery disconnect switch is one way, taking off the coil wire is another and I am sure there are a number of other ways to disable a Cub. Removing the coil wire is probably the easiest. Just don't forget where you hide it :roll: :wink: :D

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:00 am

Welcome. While removing the coil wire is very effective, I usually disconnect the ground cable to the battery to guard against a dead battery if kids turn the ignition switch or the lights on.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:01 am

Harbor Freight sells a keyed battery disconnect switch which is one possible solution. As mentioned, many remove the coil wire. A determined thief can get around these if he desires. Another good way is to remove the rotor button from inside the distributor. A chain or cable through the steering wheel and around the torque tube secured with a padlock will prevent the cub from being steered. Leave the wheels turned in one direction or the other before chaining and it will only go around in circles.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:15 am

Run a chain through each back wheel and lock ends together. Chain will be under side and not very visible. Tractor will only move a short distance before wheels will not turn.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:55 am

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the above postings as to securing your cub. I particularly like locking the steering. If you don't have a shop or shed to keep it out of sight, it may be good to put a tarp over it to keep wandering eyes from locking on to it. Enjoy your cub. 8)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Bigdog wrote: Another good way is to remove the rotor button from inside the distributor.

That is a good suggestion if you have battery ignition. On a magneto (which is what a '48 originally had) it is too much trouble to remove/replace. The suggestions made are all good.

johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846

Postby johnny j » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 am

Felipe ! Welcome to the forum :)

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:20 am

welcome to the forum. If you cant find the answer to a question here, there is no answer anywhere.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Introduce Yourself”