This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hi from a new cub owner in SE Michigan

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
matt_m
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48140

Hi from a new cub owner in SE Michigan

Postby matt_m » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm

I got a surprise call today with an offer to buy my brother-in-law's Cub for a song. I happened to be with a friend who had a perfect trailer so we went over and picked it up. Turns out it included a fairly new Woods mower and a front blade. Since this will be a restoration project and a toy I'm planning to sell those and recoup my investment and start a restoration fund. It's definitely a project as the sheet metal is pretty rough and the electrical is a mess from a 12v conversion which included butchering the hood. It ran up to a couple years ago when he had trouble getting it started and went out and bought a new lawn tractor.

After checking the serial number it looks like it's a 1953.

Restoring a tractor has been on my "someday" list. Guess it moved up a little today.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hi from a new cub owner in SE Michigan

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Matt. I don't want to burst your bubble but I wouldn't expect to make a lot of money restoring a tractor and selling it at a profit. If you do a proper job you will be lucky to break even.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

matt_m
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby matt_m » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 pm

That came out wrong--just hoping to recoup what I spent to buy the tractor by selling the mower and blade.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Matt:

Congrats :applause: on your new to you 53 :D The Woods and the Cub-54 blade are pretty desirable implements so you should be able to get a pretty good price for them. Blade probably $250.00 to $400.00 depending on condition, version and if everything is there for both front and belly mount. The Woods .. well that one will depend on how new it is. Either way they will help with the restoration fund. Just hope you won't regret selling them after your restore is done. Cubs are pretty addictive and one usually leads to 2 which can lead to 3 or maybe 13 :lol: and you will need implements to justify them Cubs :D

There are a lot of resources available to our members so please do follow the links below, take some time and peruse the materials available. Above all have fun with your new to you Cub and the planned restoration :)

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:11 am

Matt,

You may want to reconcider selling the front blade. Those Cubs will push quite a bit of snow. Here are a few pic's of my '53 pushing some Michingan snow:

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:23 am

Congrats on getting the Cub, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine, this is a great site for info and making new friends. Welcome aboard !
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:40 am

Congrats on the cub. You are in the right place. Welcome to the forum.
"I ain't believing this!"

matt_m
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby matt_m » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:45 am

The blade I got looks a little different than that one. Its got a long frame that goes back and attaches to somewhere on the rear axle and an arm that comes up to attach same arm that raises and lowers the mower deck. Also no front hydraulics which might convince me to keep it. I'll have to look around and see if its factory, something aftermarket, or maybe even a well-built homebrew.

This actually isn't my first tractor--I also have a 2002 John Deere 4110 compact tractor I bought new when we moved to our current house. I've got a full suite of implements for that including a front end loader and back blade that use for snow removal and a mid-mount mower deck. My desire for an antique tractor was more along the lines of a restoration project and something we could take to a parade or tractor show.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:58 am

Sounds like some kind of home made snow plow.

I would recommend you hold on to the mower and snow blade.... Cubs are good at both and I am sure down the line you will wish you had kept them.

Welcome to the world of Cubs.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

matt_m
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby matt_m » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 am

After a closer look at the plow this morning I'd say it is homemade based on the welds. It looks like it attaches to the rear drives using the same bolt holes as the Wood mower deck.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Matt:

The first blade I had for Ellie was a home brew for a Massey Harris Pony/Farmall A but fit the Cub perfectly as well. Mounted on the drawbar and was lifted by the cultivator arms. Worked pretty slick. Used it for years before I got my Cub-54.

Please post pics of the blade you have. Interested in the design. :D

And yeah, you may have a JD... but once you get on that Cub you are going to get addicted and then the blade is gonna be desirable. If it is a home brew it will be worth less than a Cub-54 .. so keep that in mind.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

matt_m
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby matt_m » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:34 am

Here's some photos of the tractor. I got mower off, got some air in the tires, and got the battery charged back up last night and got the tractor to turn over with some work. Electrical is an absolute mess on this thing. Someone added a GM alternator, butchering the hood along the way, but the alternator and regulator aren't currently connected to the electrical system. The ballast resistor is definitely bad. Coil is hanging on by a zip tie.

Someone converted it to "rear exhaust" which probably is a good thing because the way it was done I don't believe much water would have gotten in and there's a rise that hopefully would have kept any of that out of the engine. Getting the pipe nipple out of the manifold so I can convert it back will be fun I'm sure. The air intake cap is in place so no water got in the carb from what I can see.

I'd like to get it running in the short term, maybe rewire it enough to to make it so I can start it to move it around.

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Woods 59 mower that came on it.
IMG_0265.jpg

matt_m
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby matt_m » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:37 am

And as requested the blade.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Plates where it attaches to the rear drives.
IMG_0261.jpg

This arm appears to attach to the same place the front of the mower hangs from.
IMG_0262.jpg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:44 pm

Matt:

Well I would be keeping that blade. It appears at first blush to be the early McCormick-Deering Leveling and Grader Blade which is not all that common as it was only made for w short period of time. There were issues with it, but there were good points as well. The issues were solved in the Cub-54

You can see the progression in the Cub Leveling and Grader Blade in the CBI-1A Revision 12 Parts Catalog

Below is the page that shows the blade and blade support angle

If you examine your blade you can see the tell-tale rounded blade support angle. The newer versions are more angular. Looks like they modified it a lot :shock: The rear mounting pads are interesting .. but the mid mount lift lever is more interesting. Seems to be a functional blade. Well worth keeping. With it modified this way the value has really decreased. Probably in half I would think.

Now for the hood. By anychance is the piece out of the hood with the tractor or is it missing? Even if it is missing a trashed donor hood would be a viable source for a patch which can be mig welded in quite nicely. Much of the rest of the tins look pretty good so I would be looking for a good donor hood for the patch.

A nice honest looking Cub in pretty good shape. The modified underslung is interesting and would be something I would be converting back to a vertical exhaust.

The Woods looks to be rather new and in very good condition. A nice mower.

I am not sure what you mean by no front hydraulics. The TC Reservoir is there, looks like the correct rockshaft for the reservoir assembly. What is missing is the rear rockshaft and the rockshaft rod but those are rather easy to obtain and not all that expensive. Those are parts I would be looking for :!:

If you decide to revert to 6v you can get a genny or a 6v alternator. I didn't know they were available but I inherited a very nice one that will stay in my stock room until I decide which tractor it will go on.

matt_m
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby matt_m » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Yes, I believe that's what it is. Since it can be used mid-mounted I think I will hang on to it. I'm confident I can fabricate the necessary parts to make it work that way.

The piece of the hood is not there unfortunately. I'm thinking I'll stay 12V and go with the Hitachi alternator I've been reading about since it will fit under a repaired hood. I have access to a bead roller if it can do a big enough bead for this and can fabricate a hood patch.

The only things that seem to be really rusted are the floor board, and that might be repairable depending on how thin it is getting, and the seat pan which seems easy to get.

There's a hole in the manifold I found today so it looks like I need a manifold, muffler, and rain cap to straighten that out. Looks like other than getting the nuts off that is an easy job.

The hydraulics I was speaking of was the cylinder I've seen on photos of the newer blade.

Is there a good book I can get with photos to help me identify what is and isn't missing? For example I don't see a way to operate the choke, also true on some photos of other tractors iv looked at.

My goal for now is to try to get it running and fix what needs to be fixed so that I can start it regularly and move it in order to stabilize it's condition. The restore (and I probably use that term loosely) will happen down the road.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”