This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hi from a new cub owner in SE Michigan

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hi from a new cub owner in SE Michigan

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Matt,

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on obtaining your Cub, it sounds like if found a good owner.

The parts manuals available on Rudi’s server are an excellent resource for how things are suppose to go, plenty of exploded views. TM Tractor, a site sponsor has hundreds of great pictures available on his web site, either via the “Gallery and Photo Archive” or just go to the “New Parts” and look for a related part; he usually has detailed photos that are very helpful. Then, when you need a part, you know where to go- Tom at TM is first class, you won’t be disappointed in dealing with him.

Best of luck,
David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Matt:

Ok, going to reply via quotes:

matt_m wrote:The piece of the hood is not there unfortunately. I'm thinking I'll stay 12V and go with the Hitachi alternator I've been reading about since it will fit under a repaired hood. I have access to a bead roller if it can do a big enough bead for this and can fabricate a hood patch.

You could go that route or as I mentioned get a donor hood. Simply post a want in the Wanted Cub Items sub-forum and you will probably be able to get a patch sized piece from a trashed hood that one of our members may have. Far easier than trying to duplicate the beads. Also you can use the Delco 10S1 alternator as well depending on which one is more available/in the budget. There are How To's on both styles.

matt_m wrote:The only things that seem to be really rusted are the floor board, and that might be repairable depending on how thin it is getting, and the seat pan which seems easy to get.

Same with the floor board or operator's platform - these are readily available either from the classifieds here on our site or from our forum sponsors such as JP Tractor Salvage, :eBay: or say DE Farmall Cubs.

matt_m wrote:There's a hole in the manifold I found today so it looks like I need a manifold, muffler, and rain cap to straighten that out. Looks like other than getting the nuts off that is an easy job.

Well is that hole in the side of the manifold and does it have threads? If so there is a set screw/allen head screw that goes in there. Used as a vacuum for milkers and such back then.

matt_m wrote:Since it can be used mid-mounted I think I will hang on to it. I'm confident I can fabricate the necessary parts to make it work that way.

Yup, you probably can fabricate them. But as I mentioned, parts are available and usually pretty reasonable. Simply look at the parts breakdown above and post a want for the parts you need in the previously mentioned areas.

matt_m wrote:The hydraulics I was speaking of was the cylinder I've seen on photos of the newer blade.

Those cylinders are owner modifications allowing the blade to be angled hydraulically. There are How To's in the CBoK and many of us have them .. even I was able to do this modification and I am by no means a mechanic or a fabricator .. well outside of my cabinet shop that is :lol:

matt_m wrote:Is there a good book I can get with photos to help me identify what is and isn't missing? For example I don't see a way to operate the choke, also true on some photos of other tractors iv looked at.

well as David said:

dgrapes59 wrote:The parts manuals available on Rudi’s server are an excellent resource for how things are suppose to go, plenty of exploded views.

and you can find all of that if you read the links I posted above and will repeat here:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

A little bit of research and you will be really surprised at what you will be able to accomplish. These are great tractors and are a lot of fun. They are also one of the best ones to learn on as they really are not all that complicated.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

matt_m
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48140

Postby matt_m » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:26 am

The manifold hole is a rust hole on the exhaust side which someone "repaired" with Bondo at some point. I've already been scoping out replacements and figure I'll just get all the proper exhaust parts and change that out. I PM'd someone here on one in the classifieds and I see DE actually has everything I need there. But I'd really like to get the thing to start before I spend too much on parts--hate to spend a bunch and find out it has major engine or transmission problems.

According to the previous owner, supposedly it was running fine, died pulling it out of the barn one day, and he couldn't get it to restart. That was about 2 years ago. If I'm lucky its that ballast resistor I'm sure is bad or some other component of the electrical mess. Haven't popped off the distributor cap yet either to take a peak in there, but I figure I'll hotwire the ignition work my way through there until I'm sure its sparking, then get some fuel in it.

I've also luckily got an ag parts supply house right by me. Actually a mile from me through the fields and woods, about 1-1/4 to drive around to them on the roads. And there's a pretty active antique tractor club near me I need to get some more information on--probably a treasure trove of info there.

I enjoy fabrication and restoration. A previous, pre-wife and kid hobby was an 87 Mustang I built as a drag car. When I sold that I got into woodworking and a little metal fabrication (mostly to support restoring and fabricating woodworking equipment and some fabrication for adapting all my implements to the quick hitch on the John Deere. But you are right on many of these Cub parts I can probably buy them cheaper than the materials.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:37 am

Matt a big warm WELCOME from Louisiana. Be sure to prime the oil pump before you try to start it.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Introduce Yourself”