This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got first Cub 1953-Chicago burbs

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
chicago.cub.rich
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60563

Got first Cub 1953-Chicago burbs

Postby chicago.cub.rich » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi all

My name is Rich in Naperville, Illinois. I just had a 53 delivered from Muncie this morning. I understand that I must make a first post to be able to PM., so briefly, I'm on one of the last little farm properties in my town. It has a 1.25 acre section that I've been paying a guy $1500 for the priveledge of putting in feed corn and said, hey, why don't I get a Cub and save $1500 while growing tons of interesting stuff to share with friends, poor people, etc.

Also, there is about 1.5 acres of just flat cut lawn that hasn't seen fertilizer of any kind (except deer poop :lol:) in 50+ years and I thought I could get that certified organic, but I heard it takes a hefty fee/sampling of soil to do that, but it great soil.

Then there is one final 1.5 heavily grown over area with some mature trees and a bunch of Sumac which has spread like the L.A. fires recently, that I could strategically clear and try some permaculture type stuff with, if that means planting shade plants under the trees and such)

If there's any knowledgable gurus or tinkerers/gearheads 50 miles or closer give or take some distance, I'm looking for fellow Cubbers who I see are very cool people like myself (at least that's what I tell myself :lol:. I have cultivators and plow that came with it, but is has a slined shaft straight out the back witout a pulley, which I see runs just a belly mower(?)

Looking to do a one section at a time cosmetic clean up (of cub) and repaint, as I have a media blaster that excepts soda and a baby, not so cumbersome scuba tank type soda only blaster.

Also have a good quality powdercoater and sears outlet "scratch and dent" new electric range of which not too many parts are small enough to cure in, but I have access to a big oven sometimes too.

Sorry, maybe I wrote too much for an intro.

Nice to have this site now

Thanks for any feedback
Happy New Year

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Got first Cub 1953-Chicago burbs

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Rich. Your introduction was fine. Take a good look around the various forums to see what we have to offer. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Welcome to the Forum!!
Check out the announcements section, there are plenty of gatherings of Cub enthusiasts year round in different parts of the country. Read through the threads in the Farmall Cub section and use the search field at the top of the page for information as to different questions about your new tractor. Or, just jump right in and ask away, plenty of good folks chomping at the bit to give you an answer!! :D

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Rich, Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like like you've got a good plan and the right tractor to do it with. My wife grew up in Mt. Prospect and then her parents lived in Batavia until they moved to Colorado.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:48 am

Welcome to the forum, chicago.cub.rich. Glad you're here.

As the others suggested, take some time and explore the forum, especially the links at the top of the forum homepage (i.e. CBoK and Manuals). The Map feature will show you others who live close to the Chicago area.

And as always, if you have a question and can't find the answer, please ask!!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 am

Welcome to the forum Rich!
"I ain't believing this!"

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 am

Welcome to the forum, Rich! Nice to see that I am not the only person on the forum to have a cub in the "city". My wife's aunt lives in Naperville as well. If there is anything at all that you need help with, this is the place to get answers!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 am

Welcome aboard! Be sure to check out the link below my singature, and hope to see you in April.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:50 am

Welcome to the forum, Rich.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:46 am

Rich:

G'day and congrats :applause: on acquiring your very 1st new to you Cub. It probably won't be your last... they get addictive. Besides we have a rule of thumb around here -- 1 Implement = 1 Cub :lol: Ask any of us Multiple Cub Clubbers :lol:

There are a number of us who are small acreage part time farmers so there is a ton of experience here to help along with a couple real pros in the Ag field. Suggest you follow the links below, there is a ton of info and resources available for our members.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Enjoy your Cub and remember - Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

chicago.cub.rich
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60563

Postby chicago.cub.rich » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

I have only had a bit of time with it and see that the belts are loose/glazed and no genny or fan turning, at least sporadically, hence didn't run it too long.

I saw a cub with "spring loaded" clamps holding the top/hood down and mine appears to have just some screws to detach the top and access the belts/engine on mine.

I'm expecting/hoping that the generator has an old fashioned slotted bracket to loosen a bolt and slide the generator to tighten the belt, but since I have limited visibility and have been using the warm weather to get other things done, I haven't jumped on any links yet.

Curious how the fan belt would tighten also.

Thanks again for the welcome and I'm sure this will bring some laughter. I am probably getting another I found for a grand that apparently has two(?) separate hydraulic lifts to be able to lift a rear and mid implement as different circuits. I'm assuming that is what he described. It has a power-pack too, which sounds fun :lol:

Thanks again for the welcome

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Rich, welcome to the forum. 8) The fan hub sits in the slot on the engine front cover, and slides vertically for belt adjustment.

Some of the items you are describing, such as spring clamps holding the hood, or dual hydraulics sounds like some of the larger letter series farmall tractors. :?:

(Photo courtesy of TM Tractor)

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:12 pm

In addition to what Bill said, when you attempt to adjust the fan to tighten the belt, hold the nut in place behind the cover plate seen above, and turn the fan shaft. If you attempt to turn the nut. The apexes of the nut will spread the two arms apart on the cover and it will break.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Harold R wrote:Rich, welcome to the forum. 8) The fan hub sits in the slot on the engine front cover, and slides vertically for belt adjustment.

Some of the items you are describing, such as spring clamps holding the hood, or dual hydraulics sounds like some of the larger letter series farmall tractors. :?:

(Photo courtesy of TM Tractor)

Rich,

DON'T turn the nut on the back of the fan shaft, you can easily break one, or both, sides of the slot (in the picture above) and that will not be fun. The sides of the slot are designed to keep the nut from turning. To loosen the fan to adjust the fanbelt, you turn the shaft. A thin openend wrench, 13/16 I believe, will fit on the shaft and turn it to loosen it up. Good luck.

Bill

Edit: I don't type very fast. :) :)
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:27 am

Welcome to the forum Rich!
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers