This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hello! New owners of Cub Lo Boy 154 here.

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
RichardH
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30705
Tractors Owned: 1972 Cub Lo Boy 154

Hello! New owners of Cub Lo Boy 154 here.

Postby RichardH » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:33 pm

First, I would like to say thank you to everybody for coming together to make such an informative site!

My wife and I rent a small place with 4 acres. For our first year here we tried maintaining the property with a 42" riding mower which was very time consuming, we usually spent most of the weekend mowing and weed eating. Last month, while debating on whether to buy a new riding mower or an older tractor my wife came across an ad on Craigslist for a 1972 Cub Lo Boy 154. We were a little skeptical as to if it ran because it had such a low price, so my wife googles up the Cub, came across this forum, and reads up on the Lo Boy while we're waiting on a return call about the tractor. The man we spoke to cranked the Lo Boy right up and explained that his son had been working in the pasture and had tried to change the gears while the tractor was still moving.

For the price we hope we can get the tractor up and running. Without a doubt it is in rough shape and needs a little TLC but mostly the problems, that we can tell, are cosmetic...well besides the transmission. The Lo Boy is currently at the local Cub dealer getting the transmission fixed. My wife was confident that we could do the work ourselves (with help from this forum!) but since neither of us have any real prior experience (I've worked on mowers and weed eaters), I felt better letting somebody who has worked on these before handle this one. I will definitely be on to search the forums...and to ask a few questions I'm sure. We have already found so much helpful information and links to get the parts the Cub dealer couldn't, again thank you all so much for your time and all the helpful information!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hello! New owners of Cub Lo Boy 154 here.

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Welcome to the Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable Cub lovers here. I don't have a numbered Cub, so I can't help you much, but others sure can. If you click on "PDF manuals" in the toolbar above, and scroll down to "numbered series Cubs", you'll find some 154 manuals that you can read or download. One of the Forum sponsors, HamiltonBobsCubs, has a link at the bottom of the page and is a great source for new and used parts. Feel free to ask any questions that might arise.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:23 pm

Welcome.

There are quite a few numbered Cub owners on this site.

I have a 154 with creeper gear. Great lawn mower.
I have an excuse. CRS.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Best of luck,
David

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Welcome to the forum David
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

RichardH
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby RichardH » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome everybody!

We got the Lo Boy back this past weekend and wow! We were impressed, I managed to mow the whole 4 acres in an afternoon instead of it taking all weekend like it did with the riding mower and did a better job of it. My brother in law offered to give us our money back but I think we're going to keep it lol

My wife did order the parts the Cub Dealer couldn't get from a dealer that is linked to this site. Having that information was very handy and gave us more confidence in where she was ordering the parts from. Our Cub dealer also recommended Hamilton Bobs to us as well.

Having about $1200 in the tractor now, including parts, labor, and initial cost, I think this was a far better choice than the new riding mowers that we were looking at. We're excited about finding out if it's possible to get some implements to work a garden next year as well.

Thanks again!

Richard

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:55 pm

Richard, the implements for a 154 will be harder to find than for a F-Cub, also less variety. Probably a good idea to decide what you need, post on the Vine and also check with the sponsors.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

RichardH
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby RichardH » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I think we would be good if we could find a harrow and a plow. I'll go have a look around as well as get the part numbers from the manual.

Richard

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:20 pm

RichardH wrote:I think we would be good if we could find a harrow and a plow.
Lot will depend on your rear tire size/width if you are looking for a land plow - to plow the garden.

My thought is that a lot of horse drawn implements would work well behind the 154. They are also inexpensive. The plow might be a problem due to rear tire size.

Also check out antique two wheeled garden tractor and garden tractor implements. Easily handled by the 154, just quite a bit smaller.
I have an excuse. CRS.

RichardH
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby RichardH » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks Eugene,

We used a tiller this year, my brother-in-law was itching to try out our Haflinger, which is rumored to pull, with his horse drawn plow. My wife thought the tiller sounded safer since we haven't tried the horse for pulling yet.

I'll have to measure the tires out and talk with my brother-in-law to see what he thinks about trying his horse drawn equipment with the tractor.

I'll google up the two wheeled garden tractor as well.

Richard

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:59 am

Tow behind implements will work very well behind the loboy. Look for old horse drawn or ATV equipment.
It can get expensive very quickly to upgrade the 154 for ground engaging 3-point equipment.

Example: I have a tiller for my 184 loboy. It requires the following toys to work well.
3-point hitch & necessary sheet metal - Approximately $800
Creeper Gear & shorter driveshaft - Approximately $700
Tiller - $800

More is invested into a rototiller than the value of the tractor. (but I'll never sell it)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

RichardH
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby RichardH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks outdoors4evr, we're still looking around for some implements. We've gotten a little sidetracked with getting a few more things for our horse. We appreciate all the information everybody's been giving us!

Richard

Return to “Introduce Yourself”