This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie from Iowa

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
shawman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 52761

Newbie from Iowa

Postby shawman » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Hello from eastern Iowa. Happy new owner of a 1953 Cub. It's had an amateur restoration done to it, presentable but not perfect by any means. Honestly, I have absolutely no use for a tractor, but they just look so "cool" I had to buy one. My 4 yr. old grandson thinks it's a pretty cool toy also, that helps keep grandma off my back lol. Maybe next year my grandson and I, may hit a parade or two with it, after I fix an oil leak or two.

I am a city dweller all my 51 yrs. of life. I worked for a farmer that my cousin worked for daily, I only worked on weekends (farmer was 70 miles away from me) on the farm back in my high school days. Spent a lot of time on an Oliver 1650 diesel, if I had the room, and need for a tractor that size I'd have owned one of those a long time ago, I really enjoyed my time spent on that old Oliver.

My grandpa farmed most of his life on a sharecropping deal. He had 2 Oliver 77s for field work, and he also kept an AC (wd45 I think) around for general purpose things, mainly for driving 1/4 mile or so back to the Skunk river to fish, whenever it was to muddy for his fishing car. I got to spend some time back then wheeling around with grandpa on the old AC.

Enough rambling I guess, just a little info on me, and my limited tractor background. Looking forward to the abundant knowledge that is on this board, I'm sure I will need to use it from time to time.
Attachments
20140810_182522_resized_1.jpg
20140810_182522_resized_1.jpg (248.23 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Last edited by shawman on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie from Iowa

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Shawman, Welcome to the Forum. I think you'll find that having a Cub can become quite addictive. There is a wealth of knowledge available here, both from downloading and the experience and knowledge of the Forum members. If you have any questions or need help with anything, feel free to ask. You might want to start by going to either "PDF Manuals" or "Rudi's Manuals" in the tool bar above and familiarize yourself with the Cub and especially the maintenance/lubrication section in either the owner's or operator's manual. Again, welcome aboard.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

shawman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 52761

Postby shawman » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Thanks Bob, I've been lurking around the last 2 weeks (since my purchase) checking out the files and such. I've been trying to figure out what the little screw is for between the distributor, and the governor. Mine has a bolt there instead of the screw,trying to stop the oil leak it has. I've since figured out thanks to this site,that there shouldn't be any oil there. Apparently it needs a governor seal from what I've deduced here, not sure if that is something I can fix myself, or try to find someone who knows way more about it than I do. I've done plenty of mechanical work on cars, but never a tractor.

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:39 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. Any grandpa with a grandson like your's needs at least one cub. Just look at that picture. If only folks who really had a need for a cub had them then there would be many fewer running cubs.
Check out this link for the governor seal replacement. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85205&p=679459&hilit=governor+seal#p679459
Good luck and enjoy the grandson, they grow up just a fast a your children.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:26 am

Welcome. There should be a screw-in plug in that hole. Take out the plug and screw in a grease zerk and put a couple of pumps of grease in once or twice a year. The governor seal may be leaking or the PO put oil in directly. Who knows? :big give up:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:33 am

Welcome to the forum. I hope you and the grandson enjoy the cub
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,