This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gasoline

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Royalwulff
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16844

Gasoline

Postby Royalwulff » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Hello everyone, tomorrow I will be a new owner of a 1958 cub, haven't been on one since I was a kid and I have a million questions, but I'll start with just two.
1.with the new gasoline's with lower octane and especially ethanol should I use some type of additive.

2.mine comes with a woods belly mower and a snowplow/grader blade where can I find instructions on how to change these around ? I'm as excited as a little kid at Christmas, morning can't get here fast enough

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Re: Gasoline

Postby clm2112 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Royalwulff wrote:1.with the new gasoline's with lower octane and especially ethanol should I use some type of additive.

Greetings and Welcome... I'm a relatively new guy around here as well. I imagine in a short while someone will point you at the many manual pages floating around here.

But I can answer your question regarding octane... in it's stock form, the Cub's motor is a low compression engine, at 6.5:1 . Lower than most auto engines that run on 87 octane pump gas. My '55 has run on 87 octane all of it's life without much issue, including modern summer and winter blended fuels with ethanol. The only reason to ever run higher octane fuel is if the engine knocks and pings as a result of raising the compression during a rebuild. Otherwise, just keep your fuel clean and free of water.

I know of one Cub that runs on a steady diet of 100LL Aviation Fuel. Only because the tractor is used to tow airplanes around a small airport and 100LL is the lowest grade of fuel on the premises. (It also gets fed the fuel that is drained out of aircraft tanks, since the EPA made it illegal to dump it on the pavement.) Point is, the Cub will run on what is currently sold as the lowest grade of fuel. No reason to use a higher grade unless that is all you have available.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:04 pm

Welcome to the Forum. In the tool bar above you can click on PDF Manuals, then click on Cub attachments for the plow. Click on OEM attachments... and then Woods to find the mower.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx

Postby Ben B » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:25 am

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your new cub as much as I do mine. Its good to hear that you are so excited about it.

As for fuel, I run mine on non-ethanol gasoline. But, that may not be available in your area. We have a station in my home town that sells 90 octane non-ethanol, and I use that with a lead substitute additive and mine does great. When I ran it on 87 octane ethanol blend, it ran poorly and the fuel gummed up the carburetor.

Again, I hope you enjoy that new cub, and post photos of it when you can!
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:46 am

Welcome to the FORUM. :Dito: on the other posts. In addition, my engines don't get used a lot so I add SEAFOAM to the fuel as a stabilizer/detergent cleaner. So far, minimal fuel issues. I'd rather add the fuel additive that work on a carb. JMHO Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:10 am

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,