hello everyone, new guy here

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.

Moderator: Team Cub

Drfting1
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 07461
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub

hello everyone, new guy here

Postby Drfting1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Hello everyone, Looking forward to being a member of this forum, A little about myself, volunteer firefighter, past US Marine (82-86), my career I used to be A lineman, but due to injury was forced to retire little earlier than planned about a year ago, so needless to say I have a little time on my hands. I have always loved tinkering with and collecting old tools and machines (which I use some since you can't beat there quality) along with other interesting antiques, I've restored some as a hobby, from hand and gas tools, vending machines to a few of old vehicles (currently finishing up on a classic v8 3 speed 66 stang 4 door.....just kidding about 4 door).
I have been always fascinated with old tractors and farm equipment, when I was a little kid, my dad would take me every summer to my aunt and uncles farm up in Connecticut before he passed, there they had a couple old farmalls tractors, I was always climbing on them, sitting on them, making believe I was operating them. Always dreamed of having one. Well later this week dream comes true (been warning wife few years now this day would come lol) I'm picking up my first, a "53" cub in very good running condition, but she has the usual leaks, faded paint, surface rust, few missing parts and small bugs, but has very nice straight metal, exactly what I was looking for. extremely excited about it and feel like a kid all over again. With the help of experience and knowledge of members of this forum I'm looking forward to getting starting on this restoration. Want to try to restore her as original as possible but with a few upgrading tweaks since I will be using her. So I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as I go and I will always welcome the advice, comments and suggestions from everyone here as I take on this project and If there is anyway I could be of assistance to anyone, please feel free to reach out.... so in advance... Thanks! Bill

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: hello everyone, new guy here

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Let us know when you get started and if you need any help on the '53.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 am

Welcome to the form. You'll enjoy this site plus the tractor.
Stay Safe
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:45 am

Very nice introduction. Welcome to the Forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:47 pm

Welcome to the forum. You'll want to take the time to read all 44 pages of Chipmaker's recent restoration thread (http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92172&hilit=restoration). When reading, don't think you have to make parts from scratch or even go to great lengths to repair things like he did as just about any part for a Cub is available from the aftermarket or in a used condition (Chipmaker is aware of that too, but he is an excellent machinist with time and access to a plethora of machine shop equipment). If you do decide to repair or fabricate things, his restoration journey may give you some ideas of how to approach problems you find.

Also, you'll want to read this thread on 'What to do with a Cub you just brought home' (http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765) as it is full of stuff you might not think to check right off the bat.

Jim

Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:34 am

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the '53.

Good advice already given above. I'd direct you to the manuals available for free download (go to the Quick Links tab in upper left of screen, then to PDF Manuals). There, you'll find the Owner's and IH Blue Ribbon Service Manuals that contain many answers to questions you will have as they come up. As Bob wrote, if you have any questions, let us know by posting a new thread over in the Farmall Cub section.

Also, go to the CubFest calendar to keep up-to-date on Cub folks' gatherings and what a CubFest is all about. Being in the Sussex, NJ, area, you're in striking distance of a couple annual CubFests.

Again, welcome and hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving this week. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Drfting1
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 07461
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub

Postby Drfting1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks Jim, I will read chipmaker's restoration thread before I start on anything Thank you for the advice Bill

Return to “Introduce Yourself”